How long till the eggs get bigger????

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
I'm just wondering, cause my 'large' egg laying leghorns are laying eggs the size of bantam eggs. When do they get bigger???

I'm having the same problem. I have 4 young pullet that have just started laying and their eggs are tiny, people on here said it was normal and over the next month or two they would gradually get bigger, gosh I hope so.

Edited to add: I was told that their " Plumbing" is new and it takes time for it to work right.

Last edited:
I hope so too....they're pretty small right now. I did a search and from what I gathered the size increase seems to depend on the chicken, but I'm hoping there's like a timeline, like a few weeks, or a month, or whatever before the eggs start getting bigger.

i got a few RIR one time and when I got them they laid small/med eggs, once they were here for a little while and were eating good (layer pellets,corn,scraps) they started laying real nice large/extra large eggs, I got 4 new hens yesterday and went out to get eggs today and found the cutest little egg from one of them, looked like one of my silkies egg. i'm guessing with my new ones it's a feed issue.

All of mine are heavy breeds except my Lakenvelder and it's the RIR and the NHReds that are laying the small pullet eggs so I know they will increase in size over time.

I have 11 hens with a mix of Barred rock, Buff orp, Jersy giants, ester eggers, and hubbard brown. I am not complety sure which ones are laying. They started about three weeks ago now. At first I was getting very small eggs and now at least one of my girls is laying extra large double yolked eggs. They are all increasing in size and quanity. When I get a small one it seems that my quanity increases also, so I assume that I have one more girl adding eggs to the pile.
big_smile.png

Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

Congrats on all the healthy pullets!

Egg size will change the most drastic after the first molt.

The fun part of keeping a backyard flock is the difference between the eggs. Even the same breed will give you a variety of eggs to enjoy.

Once you realize that the nutritional eggs you are providing folks are far superior to the perfect looking eggs that one buys at the grocery store from abused caged chickens....then you won't worry about the size or shape, cause it doesn't matter, to folks that are looking for real good nutrition in the things they eat.

Check this old link out http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2005-08-01/The-Good-Egg.aspx

bigzio

I have 4 pullets and my white leghorn just started laying 5 days ago on her 20 wk b-day. She's layed an egg a day-all cute and small, except yesterday's which was almost double the size! Today's was small again... Alas!

Back
Top Bottom