How long to cease egg laying?

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
I expected my Khaki Campbell duck, Mildred, to quit laying eggs with her recent bout of bumblefoot and treatment. She is still laying an egg a day. She has had 'surgery', been moved into a new environment (house with no ducks in small dog kennel), and no longer has light supplemented to give her 14-16 hours of light. And yet she is still laying. I expected it to stop after a couple of days - just do to stress? How long does it take a ducks system to "switch-off" from laying? And if she does, will she likely not lay until Spring - even after being put in her normal environment? (other ducks, lights, etc).

Assuming she continues to improve of course.....
fl.gif

Other than being alone (from other ducks), she's getting quite spoiled!

Mildred, bless her, may just be a stalwart layer! It's possible she may stop any day now, and start up again some unpredictable time later.

I think duck experts (and I appreciate them) can know some things about the general population of ducks, but it seems to me there's always some number of outliers - individuals who don't fit the regression curve.

Glad to read she's doing well. How's the swelling?

Swelling is much better today. Thanks for asking!
thumbsup.gif

She's still laying. Had an incident this morning that makes me laugh now. Heard a commotion this morning and went in to check on Mildred. She was breathing very heavily. I thought I was losing a duck. Turned away to put her food and water dishes on a table, so I could get to her easily, and when I turned back, she was breathing fine. And there was a brand new egg sitting there. Never been around when the laid eggs before.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom