How long to confine yearling peahens?

lorad

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Edelstein, IL
I'm possibly getting 2 one year old IB peahens next week. They will have a covered pen but would like to let them range eventually. I confine my guineas for 1 month before turning them loose- same for peahens? Or longer? I currently have chickens and guineas (separate yard) but no other peafowl to call them back. Any suggestions? Eventually, my hope is they will share my chicken barn at night and free range over the 6' fence during the day.

Our neighbors have Peafowl and wanting to reduce her numbers a bit, she gave us a male and female.. not sure of their age. We kept them confined for about 2 months and then had to let them out to accomodate our meat chickens. They immediatley went to the nearest tree row which happens to be on our OTHER neighbors property. If I can ever get my incubator stabilized and feel confident enough, my neighbor will give me eggs to hatch and hopefully they won't run off.

We are surrounded by praire fields and corn? (this year) with a large mowed areas around the house and outbuildings. My chickens and guineas never leave the mowed areas, but they don't fly very far either. Once the nieces and nephews chased the guineas and one took off for the back prairie field- it was back in the coop before dark (waiting for the kids to leave). I believe the peahens are shut in until I take pity on them- maybe when the snow flies!(now isn't that a pleasant thought
sad.png

definitely don't let them out while the kids are there. it is important nothing chases or spooks them during their first few times outside. Guineas can be really mean and relentless especially towards new birds(or even to a bird they know well but is suddenly "in the wrong side of fence"), so if possible, confine all guineas for a bit when the new peafowl are out.

The nieces and nephews at this point gotten away from chasing the guineas- I only let them handle the younger chickens now. My own kids are fascinated but have been scratched before so aren't in any hurry to chase them. My guineas haven't discovered the yearlings yet- they haven't flown over the fence lately (raining alot-not venturing far). I have a trio of Brahmas in a portable pen by the yearlings, and initially the rooster did not like them, but things have settled down. Poor yearlings-the one lost part of her tail and wing feathers I assuming when the original owner was catching her for my pickup. It hasn't stopped her from getting up on the perch about 4' off the ground so no major problems other than stress. They got a dose of ivermectin when they arrived, and added some electrolytes/vitamin combo to water and amprolium for any possible coccidia. Probably going to take a fecal sample to vet to check for any other intestinal parasites. Hopefully they will fit in smoothly!

Back
Top Bottom