How long to give her?

I have a mamma duck sitting on eggs and it is down to 4 days till she is supposed to start having eggs crack and we are finding them away from the nest and broken open w little ducks inside :( . Now the duck yard is right outside my bedroom window and i keep the windo open all night, cause we like to talk to each other, but any way if there was a predator or something in the yard I would know because she would put up a fit? Not sure what is happining. I have also found eggs , that have been broken open and cleaned out. The drake would not be doing all this would he? He also likes to sit in the nest w mamma, is this normal

I have a mamma duck sitting on eggs and it is down to 4 days till she is supposed to start having eggs crack and we are finding them away from the nest and broken open w little ducks inside
sad.png
. Now the duck yard is right outside my bedroom window and i keep the windo open all night, cause we like to talk to each other, but any way if there was a predator or something in the yard I would know because she would put up a fit? Not sure what is happining. I have also found eggs , that have been broken open and cleaned out. The drake would not be doing all this would he? He also likes to sit in the nest w mamma, is this normal
Very hard to say, but if you had predators coming around other than snakes I don't think your ducks would still be around if they are left outside over night. In other words it just maybe the drake. I don't think a pred would just go after the eggs.

So you think it may be the drake :( he is just a sweetie, although he is a mallard from the wild we rescued and has just stuck around he dont try to fly away or anything . Got them both last year the femail is about 2 months older than the Drake.

So you think it may be the drake
sad.png
he is just a sweetie, although he is a mallard from the wild we rescued and has just stuck around he dont try to fly away or anything . Got them both last year the femail is about 2 months older than the Drake.
I'd get a game camera and set it up or borrow one you may catch what ever it is in the act. I just can't imagine a predator coming into your yard walking up to the nest with both ducks there and making her get off so they can eat the eggs when 2 nice plump ducks are right there for the eating. I have very sweet drakes too but I don't let them be around my ducks when they are brooding or after hatch till ducklings are at least 3 weeks old, they are just too unpredictable. And what if one or the other is stepping on the eggs they crack and now they are cleaning up.It's the same with letting 2 ducks sit one nest eggs can get stepped on and broken more often when there are 2 on the nest. My broody's have their own private places to brood safe from preds and the rest of the flock, actually they can come out and be with the flock any time they want while they are broody but most of the flock will not go into their space while they are brooding. forgot to say
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom