How long to imprint new coop and location?

I'd say so, yeah.
Leave them in there for two weeks.
Would love to see your coop, got a build thread?

I'll get some pictures when I reach an oasis. Under the gun now to get things finished. Getting close, at least with the coop and first run. Have two more runs to add and move another coop and run. Will be a real chicken complex.

I face this issue a couple of times a year, because I have multiple small (by US standards) coops that are designed to be mobile, and I move them to fresh ground 3 times a year. I try to keep the locations in sight of one another so the birds aren't completely lost, but it usually takes most of them about 3 days to remember that the coops have moved; they hang around where the coops used to be, and then follow me and treats to where they now are. Some are quicker learners than others, of course! Have you tried walking them over with treats?

I did try leading them with scrambled egg, but it's so far (about 300') they lost interest.

I only lasted a week. Today I set them loose because i just can't stand to see them cooped up. They are so alive when they're out free ranging. But it worked out well. I lured 23 of 24 into their run with evening feed. So yay! The one laggard must not be feeling well or something. I bet when it gets closer to dark she'll head to her new coop.

Back
Top Bottom