How long to keep hens 'locked' in new coop?

MasAhora

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2016
Paraguay
OK so we have finally got all 6 hens in their new little coop.:wee

4 are from the rebellious free-range gang and 2 are from the main coop area.

So they need to bond but also learn to lay their eggs in their new casita before I remove the temporary fencing.

Any suggestions as to how long this should be?

Would it help to add a rooster? If he likes the casita will they go back there?

They're supposed to help train the new kids next year 🙏🤞

This little project seems to go on forever :rolleyes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ning-for-roaming-flock.1517137/#post-25964000

be very careful keeping them locked in a coop if it is very hot.

If you have a coop attached to a run or outside area, that works best.
OP included a link to a thread that has a photo of the coop.
It's a nice open-air coop that should be fine.

So they need to bond but also learn to lay their eggs in their new casita before I remove the temporary fencing.

Any suggestions as to how long this should be?
I would say at least a week, and maybe longer. But I don't know for sure.

One thing you could look for: if they are pacing the fence, frantic to get out, at bedtime or when they need to lay their eggs. That would show that they have not yet accepted this as their place to sleep or lay eggs, so you would want to keep them in longer.

Would it help to add a rooster? If he likes the casita will they go back there?
I really don't know, but it's an interesting thought.

Do you want a rooster? If yes, you might as well add him now.
But if you don't want a rooster, then it might not be worth trying.

Nice coop!
Since it took that much trouble to catch them, I might leave them locked in for several weeks, to reduce the chance of having to do it again!

OP included a link to a thread that has a photo of the coop.
It's a nice open-air coop that should be fine.

I would say at least a week, and maybe longer. But I don't know for sure.

One thing you could look for: if they are pacing the fence, frantic to get out, at bedtime or when they need to lay their eggs. That would show that they have not yet accepted this as their place to sleep or lay eggs, so you would want to keep them in longer.

I really don't know, but it's an interesting thought.

Do you want a rooster? If yes, you might as well add him now.
But if you don't want a rooster, then it might not be worth trying.

Nice coop!
Since it took that much trouble to catch them, I might leave them locked in for several weeks, to reduce the chance of having to do it again!
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.
Yes the coop is really just an open casita for the hens that prefer to free range (hop fences etc) it is built to provide shade in summer and wind breaks in winter. It is supposed to be winter here which is why I wanted to get them set up ASAP..... but it's really hot so I'm running the sprinkler for the girls periodically which is why I wanted it near my house - so easy to temp control with a sprinkler etc

I'd rather a break from having roosters so if it won't help them bond to their casita then I'm happy to go without!

I feel quite guilty constraining them but feel better knowing a few weeks may work to keep them to their "home" zone. They will live here the rest of their lives, whether they lay eggs or not. My oldest hen is about 8-9 years old, so what's a few weeks?!?!

For me (with a cockerel) it took 2 tries. The first was 3 days. They laid their eggs in the new house, but that's it. Would rather sleep outside than in the new coop since we closed the old one. So we grabbed them all up (fun times) and put them in for another 4 days. Luckily it was Spring so it wasn't too hot and was actually during a rainy part so we got rain every day. The 2nd time stuck so yeah probably a week is necessary.

For me (with a cockerel) it took 2 tries. The first was 3 days. They laid their eggs in the new house, but that's it. Would rather sleep outside than in the new coop since we closed the old one. So we grabbed them all up (fun times) and put them in for another 4 days. Luckily it was Spring so it wasn't too hot and was actually during a rainy part so we got rain every day. The 2nd time stuck so yeah probably a week is necessary.
Thanks, I'm guessing it'll be more than a week for me if I want them to roost in there. Unfortunately they sometime roost in the garage/workshop if its raining and that doesn't make me very popular with the menfolk :confused:

Back
Top Bottom