how long to keep laying hen off of medicated feed?

alaina

Chirping
8 Years
May 4, 2011
North middle TN
Question; I have a hen that was broody, she hatched chicks, I fed them medicated feed. Now she has started laying again, and I have taken the medicated feed away. How long will I have to wait until we can eat her eggs again? I was thinking a couple of weeks?

I'm assuming you mean feed that was medicated with Amprolium or some similar product. There are different "medicated" feeds out there. It really helps to know which one you are talking about.

If it is Amprolium or a similar product, some manufacturers say there is no waiting period. Some authorities say there should be a 4 week waiting period. Even the experts don't agree. Just between you and me, I think some of the "experts" are getting confused between the relatively small dosage of amprolium in the medicated feed and the larger amount of amprolium in the medicine used to treat an outbreak. But I am no expert and it never pays to assume much, especialy when it comes to health.

If you look at some government sites, they say that Amprolium in the medicated feed has not been proven to cause a problem in the eggs. But other governnment sites say it has not been proven that it does not cause a problem either. I love government legalese double-speak.

I go by what a bird vet said. He did not think the low amount of amprolium in medicated feed was much of a threat because it does not pass through the chickens intestinal wall that easily. But in light of the controversy and differing opinions, he thought a one week wait was reasonable.

thank you!! Appreciate your help. That makes sense, yes it is Amprolium in grower crumbles. The hen is way ready to get out with the rest of the flock, I took the babies away from her (1 month old now) b/c she was pecking them, being mean to them, and it is plenty warm for them out. I have her by herself, but have some chicks hatching now, and another broody hen I am going to try to get to take care of them. I need to put the broody in the area the other hen is now occupying. I may try putting them together anyway. But thanks again. I agree with your assessment of govt. doublespeak....LOL

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom