How long to keep runner ducks locked up before free ranging?

Tonight they were quacking when I went out there because they were hungry. I leave plenty of food out, but also have sparrows to contend with so I have a treadle feeder. Well, now none of the birds are using the treadle because the access to the other dishes is much easier. šŸ™„
So, the runners have started quacking when I go out. Also, I was replacing some oyster shell and shook the container. They all stared and bent their head my way to see what they were missing out on. šŸ˜‚
Tonight is also the first time I saw them excited that there were meal worms available.
I'm winning these runners over little by little. šŸ˜

They've figured out how to get into the water trough. I just put "steps" in on the other side that you can't see. They've had access to the trough for a few days now, but this morning I saw 1 in and by late morning all 3 were in.
I made sure they can get out - I just walked close to the area and they all jumped out. They didn't use the steps though. I haven't seen how they are getting in yet. But, I've checked multiple times and they are just constantly sitting in the water. The muscovy use this trough or the pool that's outside of the run, but never to this degree. šŸ˜ It will be fun to watch them when I fill it with nice fresh water.
The other day I filled a small pool up with about 3" of water and they had so much fun. I couldnt keep that pool in the run because it has a small leak and was making more of a mess than they were.
My new plan is to keep everyone in for awhile so that they bond. Then, once the fields are down, let them out for some free time.
27555107767254.jpeg

They've figured out how to get into the water trough. I just put "steps" in on the other side that you can't see. They've had access to the trough for a few days now, but this morning I saw 1 in and by late morning all 3 were in.
I made sure they can get out - I just walked close to the area and they all jumped out. They didn't use the steps though. I haven't seen how they are getting in yet. But, I've checked multiple times and they are just constantly sitting in the water. The muscovy use this trough or the pool that's outside of the run, but never to this degree. šŸ˜ It will be fun to watch them when I fill it with nice fresh water.
The other day I filled a small pool up with about 3" of water and they had so much fun. I couldnt keep that pool in the run because it has a small leak and was making more of a mess than they were.
My new plan is to keep everyone in for awhile so that they bond. Then, once the fields are down, let them out for some free time. View attachment 2806383
Great flag!

Ooh, I should probably update. The runners definitely have become accustomed to us.
Maple Buns (my original) flaps her wings every afternoon when she sees me. She is actually pretty quiet and reserved.
The other 2, who I decided to name Lemon drop and Honey Cakes, are more outgoing but they came together from a different person so that might be why. They start talking to me as soon as I'm out there.
They all love cherry tomatoes from the garden. In fact, my husband took care of them for 3 days while I was gone and he already won their admiration with cherry tomatoes in hand. šŸ˜ Oh and at least 1 of them is laying eggs.
I haven't let them out though because in September I let my muscovy out in the morning while I was weeding my flower garden in the front if the house - the fox came - I didn't hear anything even though I was about 100 yards away. It took off with my sweet Mocha girl. šŸ˜­
We could hardly believe how bold it was. The corn is now harvested, but I'm waiting for the beans to be harvested and from now on, they will only be out while I'm there sitting and watching.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom