How long to leave eggs with broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jdywntr, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Hi, this is my first time having a broody chicken. My BO went broody but for the first few days one of my extra roos kept chasing her off of the nest. I made him a seperate pen so he'd leave her be.

Per my calendar, she went broody 24 days ago but I posted something about the roo chasing her off the nest 22 days ago. How long should I leave the eggs with her? I know that they were fertile but I am not good at candling (I've had broody ducks) especially in the late stages as the egg just looks dark. I was expecting them to hatch already but so far there is nothing on the eggs I've looked at. No pips etc.

2. Birdragon

Birdragon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Colorado
    Well, some eggs are a little late, but it's possible if the hen was off the nest for too long that the eggs died[​IMG]. I'd say wait a few more days, and if nothing hatches, then perhaps get a new batch of eggs if the hen is still broody.

3. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks. I'll wait a few days. I don't know if I'll give her more eggs though. I'll need to check her body condition as I don't want her wasting away on the nest. If I take the eggs, maybe I'll see about getting some babies at TSC and seeing if she'll foster them.

4. chookalina

chookalina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    I am in the same boat! Good luck! I just started!

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Any other opinions?

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, I went and removed her from the nest to have a good look. I generally leave my broody ducks alone and let them do their thing. Well, this hen ended up with 8 additional eggs in her nest!! When she went broody, I marked all of her eggs, 12 of them! So either she was stealing them or others were laying in the nest with her.

I was able to candle some before she started pecking the poop out of me. 3 of the originals were obviously bad, they were sloshy. And I was able to remove 3 others.

I did see movement in one. It looked like a beak poking up into the air cell. So, I'm assuming that is a good sign.

7. Birdragon

Dec 2, 2012
    Colorado
    Well, that would explain it! I'm glad you figured it out! Do you have any idea when these extra eggs are due?

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    No idea. I think its been 2 weeks since I counted under her. So, oh well. I've no way of continuing them. I made myself an incubator (nobody else has decided to assist by going broody) but I put 36 eggs in there 8 days ago.

9. Birdragon

Dec 2, 2012
    Colorado
    Has she stopped being broody? I thought she was still sitting on them...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by