how long to light my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by christinaJ76, Jul 1, 2010.

1. christinaJ76

christinaJ76 New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    minnesota
    My chicks are going on nine weeks old. They have been in there coop for a couple weeks and I still have the light on them. How long do you all keep the light on your chicks? Should I just keep it on at night or do I even need it then? Temps have been good 70 -80 degrees during the day cooler at night of course. So I was just wondering what everyone else does.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've always been told that, once your chicks are fully feathered out, they can go outside into the coop. The, weather permitting, you won't need a heat lamp for them. Sounds like your weather is fine, as long as your young'uns have all their feathers.

3. chickp

chickp Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Georgia
    Not to hijack but approximately when do they get fully feathered? Total newbie here with 3 week old chicks.

4. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Sounds like your girls don't need a lamp any more. at 9 weeks they should be fine. If you are still worried about them put a heating pad in for them. Let them choose if they want to sleep on the warmth or not.

5. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    I only leave them for 4 weeks keep a normal light in the brooder and they decide if to get near or far once they are four weeks old and I see that the feathers on the wings cover most of the body only the head to feather out..but every breed is different only my saipans and shamos take two months to get off the light because they feather out very slow..

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The part of the five degree rule that always seems to get missed:
    90 to 95 the first week, decreasing by five degrees a week, until they are done to 70 degrees (end of week 5) at which point they should no longer require supplemental heat. So look to 70 degrees to be your cut-off point.
    Due to our extremely hot June temps. - 90s during the day, 70s at night, I took my now three week old chicks off their heat lamp a week or so ago. They are doing absolutely fine in their outside brooder. If we had a coop ready for them they would have been out there from the start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by