how long to rest hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mossyoak, Jul 17, 2011.

1. mossyoak

mossyoak New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    i bought sum fertile eggs from a seller on this site that will ship tomorrow,, once i recieve the eggs how long should i rest them before i begin incubation? and should they be refrigerated during resting or room temp? also big end up? thank you

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I wait 24 hours
    and I like to candle at night when is all dark looking for internal cracks

i dont put cracked eggs in my incubators

and yes small end down

no need to refrigerate

get your incubator ready

calibrate your hydrometer

3. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    I've read on here that you are not to turn them for 3 days.

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I also wait 24 hrs. with shipped eggs. I only wait 12 if they are from close by and didn't have to travel far.

Nope, no fridge. [​IMG]

I do start turning mine right away. I hand turn three times a day. First thing in the morning. Afternoon around 3:00, give or take an hr. if I have something going. Then evening around 9:00, also give or take an hr.

If you are hand turning..did you mark them? X one side.. O on the other is what I do.

Oh, and I don't wash them..I hear some folks do, but I don't wash before putting them in.

Good luck..!

5. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I like to put them in my incubator tray and tilt the whole thing while letting them rest. I just do it a couple times a day. I imagine three times would be better!. I'm getting ready to receive about 7 doz+ eggs this week...wooo hoo!! I'm eggstatic!

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I let mine rest for 24 hours, too. Usually in a spot that's out of the way so that they can't be broken or anything & small end pointed down. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by