? How long to wait before declaring the rest of the hatch a loss?

chantald

Songster
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Mid/UpState NY's Hudson Valley
I have some eggs under my broody. I am pretty sure last night some started to hatch.. there were no babies yesterday but i heard peeping. This am, I had 1 chick and 3 pipping.. later this am I had 2 more chicks and one that had died hatching.. still in the egg (it was def dead). As of tonight, 3 healthy chicks are fluffed and under their mom, who is still setting on the rest of the eggs.. How much longer do I give them? I see no pipping.. ?? I hate to jump the gun..

I would leave them there for now. The mother will decide when *she* is done with the hatch, and she will leave the nest. At that point, you can go in and take whatever remains and make a decision based on their state at that point. If some are still tapping and cheeping, you can move them to an incubator. Otherwise, you can dispose of them.

still nothing happening with the rest of them.. will she know to get off the nest with the live chicks she has and get them food and water??
hmm.png

How many days have they been incubating? Have you candled them? I would give them three to five days past their "due" date (21 days for most chickens--so that would mean waiting until day 24-26). If you candle them, you may be able to tell how they are--they should be all dark except an air cell if they're near to hatching.

Back
Top Bottom