how long to wait before putting large foul and bantums together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the1honeycomb, Feb 10, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I have 2 flocks of bantums, one of Cochins, one of high cost americans, I have a mixed flock of large foul and think they would be happier if they were together, and warmer!! maybe even safer because the roo of the large foul is very protective. How long before I can put them together and do I need to worry about the bantum roosters with the large roo.
    Maybe it is better to keep them a[art but I have a bantum cochin who escapes to the large foul run all the time and she is doing fine. I am a little confused and don't want any of them hurt!!

thanks for your opinions

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    I would follow the normal steps for integrating a flock, no matter what the size of the chickens.
    Section of a portion of the run (if you can) and put the bantams in it the section so the chickens can see ech other but can't hurt each other. If you can't do that, find some other way to follow that concept. Work up slowly, and watch carefully in the beginning. If you free range that would be a good time to integrate too, because there is lot's of room to run away.
    The roosters will fight or bully in the beginning, they will need to establish who is "top" and who is "bottom" and it may not be pretty, but that is nature's way. As long as no one is getting seriously hurt, I don't usually interfere. My half banty roo is head and my huge BA roo is scared to death of him! So size in the animal world is not really relevant.
    Hope this helps, and hope everything works out! Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
    [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a mixed flock of many breeds of both LF and bantams.

Use exactly the same method of integration as with LF birds.

Separate but equal; each flock has its own feeders and waterers, coop (sleeping quarters) and pen (even if one is temporary). They can see each other through the fencing, squawk at each other, peck through the fencing but not injure anybody, hear each other, chest bump through the fence, etc.

In two weeks, take down the temporary fencing and let them mingle, leaving the feeders and waterers up for both groups.

There will be chasing, and squawking, and maybe even some feathers flying with some pecking, but they will no longer be "strangers" and they will work out the pecking order. Just as SmartyChick said.

Good luck! My banties hold their own just fine.

4. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I prefer integration while they are still "in egg" [​IMG]

Going "all natural" makes a huge difference, too. Having a good hen brood, hatch and raise your chicks will make them more hardy, better foragers and facilitates integration... Hell hath no fiery like a mama hen scorned. Shell protect those chicks... That being said, one might consider segregating mama and the chicks from the rest of the free ranging flock for the first two weeks.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by