How long to wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm so happy. Finally - my third time hatching, and a successful hatch! Ten d'uccles made it to lockdown (I had 16 shipped eggs... 6 were clear right off the bat). So far I have 8 that have hatched. One is out under my broody (maybe hatched by now), and then I have just one left in my incubator to hatch. The six others hatched within the last 24 hours. How long should I wait for the last one? Today is just the start of day 20... so I know it's early, but since the other 8 hatched within 24 hours of each other, does that mean the last one will too??? Hoping I can get them out of the incubator later today is why I'm asking, and I hate to open it when I have one left. Which I can't find a pip on yet..

Thank you!

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

I candle any not pipped on day 22. If there is movement, I will pip the shell. If not, I toss them.
    If I can't tell, I pip and see if it is alive still.

3. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Could I dare take the others out today if I don't see a pip on the egg anywhere? I'm almost thinking now is better than after it has pipped, right? Today is just day 20. The six others hatched yesterday on day 19. They won't last in there until day 22 [​IMG]

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I'd take the last egg out and candle it. If it hasn't hatched yet it probably quit already. Then go from there.

5. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:yeah i have 7 dud eggs in the bator going on day 23 so im pretty sure they quit but i saw a post that someone said before you discard to shake it gently and see if you can hear peeping or movement or candle it but im not that good at seeing the movement in the egg i just look for the emptys,rings,blood spots and no embro ones on day 7 and 18

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by