How long until an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jay1995, Mar 9, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    How old is a hen when she lays an egg. I have a silkie pullet who i 12 weeks old. How long until she will lay eggs? Thanks, -Jay

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It varies from pullet to pullet and also the breed makes a difference. At 12 weeks you've more than likely got a few weeks to wait.

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, you must wait a little longer!

Hold in there! I know it can almost KILL you waiting!

Best Of Luck!

-Austin

4. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] Well anyone how long? I would like to know that myself I have silkies from 2 different hatches still waiting for an egg..[​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know about silkie's specifically, but it can be as young as 16 weeks. The average is around 20 weeks. Your guess is as good as mine as far as the longest wait.

6. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    mine was laying at 5 - 6 months old

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I have 13 chickens (5 breeds of chickens, including barred rocks & leghorns), and the first one didn't lay her first egg till 22 weeks of age.

8. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    my first hen started laying around 19 weeks, but shes a rhode island red.. and she lays really big eggs everyday!

9. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I have Buckeyes and EE. EE started laying between 20 -24 wks. 1 Buckeye started laying yesterday [​IMG], she is 22 wks. I am expecting the other one to start laying anyday. Earlier is not usually better. The later they start to lay the bigger their eggs usually are.

My EE, MaryAnn lays an 1 3/4 oz egg about 4 days a week, she started laying at 20 wks. Her sister started laying at 24 wks and lays a 2 oz egg everyday (missed 2 days since mid January). My Buckeye's first egg yesterday was 2 ozs and in a month or so will be bigger. It's worth the wait.

10. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I have 17 BR and they started laying at 24 weeks old and my GLW have just started laying and they are 28 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by