We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

How long until I can hold chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rosemarysugar, Aug 14, 2019.

1. rosemarysugar

rosemarysugar Songster

Mar 1, 2018
    Meeker, Colorado
    1st chick hatch today how long until I can take it from the broody and hold it?

Trimurtisan likes this.
  2. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    You should wait until all the chicks are finished hatching and have fluffed up completely. You don’t want to endanger the other chicks that are still working their way out.

Usually about a day or two.

3. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Chirping

Jul 27, 2019
    I have had to help babies out of their eggs before (a big no-no, I know, and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else because if something went wrong I’d feel terrible), but I like what @TwoChicksChix said - best to wait until the rest are hatched UNLESS the chick is in distress or somehow harming the others.

I’ve also read that you aren’t supposed to handle the chicks too much when they’re little because they need their heat lamp, but I’m a true believer in handling chicks as much as possible to make them friendly, so I’ll put them in a ‘hot pocket’ (basically a fleece-lined pillow case) and put them on my lap so we can bond and they can stay warm .

ScottyGill and Trimurtisan like this.
  4. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Quack'tastical

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    I just hatched my first eggs,and am waiting for them to be "ready" too. I've got 2, O Shamos is the incubator now, and it's a breed I've literally had dreams about. Be patient... It'll be worth it. ;)

Congrats of the hatch! :D

CalBickieMomma likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: