How long until new chickens start laying again?

TaylorChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 6, 2013
We have four pullets that were hatched in April. We had a rooster that we had to cull because he was too aggressive with the chickens and the children. A few days later, we adopted four hens from some friends. They were laying already. We figured with the rooster newly gone and a new pecking order being established it would be a good time to add them. It all went great! There was some minor chest bumping and a little chasing but they have it all figured out now. One of our original girls appears to be the head chicken.

About how long does it usually take for hens to resume laying when they are introduced to a new chicken family?

It could take anything from a few days to a few weeks. It depends on the hens, how soon they settle in and feel comfortable. I've had a new hen take 3 months to start laying again after I moved her and I've had 2 hens (that I bought to keep her company) lay within 3 weeks after introducing them to their new home.

Okay great, thanks! We got two small eggs and two big eggs yesterday. We think two of our originals are now laying and two of the new older ones. The kids (and me!) are so excited!

Now we know it's normal to take some time for them to settle in. Hopefully the others start taking soon too.

Back
Top Bottom