How long until quail are used to being outside?

Rattee

Songster
Dec 25, 2019
New Kent, Virginia
Hello group!

I just put my quail in their permanent coop outside today, and none of them are moving from where I set them. I’m worried they’ll be too petrified to move to their water (less than a foot away). How long until they’re used to the coop? Is it normal for them to be stay still when being put outside for the first time? I’m posting a pic of some of them who I scooted out into the quail “living room”. The rest are still chillin in their overhang where I put them initially.

Thank you!

Editing to say that they’re about 8 weeks old, if that helps. 4 females and 3 males.

Attachments

• 238F9A8F-6330-4690-A4E5-BEC5CFEE063C.jpeg
    238F9A8F-6330-4690-A4E5-BEC5CFEE063C.jpeg
    876.6 KB · Views: 16
May be the wire. When I put mine out a couple weeks ago it took a couple hours before they did a lot of moving around. May want to give them a sand bath or something they can rest their feet on while they adjust.

I have 2 and 1/2 week old chicks and I have put them out in the nice weather each day for 3 or 4 days now, and from the first time out they were totally fine, running around and eating and drinking. I agree with the other reply that they probably aren’t used to the mesh under them, so maybe put a pan of sand or dirt out for them. Also I give mine a box to hide in, which they mostly ignore, but it’s there if they get scared. Not sure if your setup can hold a cement cinder block, but I put 2 into my pen, and they love them, they sit in the holes like little caves, they flap onto the top and boast about how great they are, they are the definite hot spots!

I have 2 and 1/2 week old chicks and I have put them out in the nice weather each day for 3 or 4 days now, and from the first time out they were totally fine, running around and eating and drinking. I agree with the other reply that they probably aren’t used to the mesh under them, so maybe put a pan of sand or dirt out for them. Also I give mine a box to hide in, which they mostly ignore, but it’s there if they get scared. Not sure if your setup can hold a cement cinder block, but I put 2 into my pen, and they love them, they sit in the holes like little caves, they flap onto the top and boast about how great they are, they are the definite hot spots!
That’s hilarious! Mine can definitely fit a cinder block, great idea!

Back
Top Bottom