How long until you open the incubator?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
For the first time ever, I have an incubator that I cannot see into without opening the door. It's been two years since I've hatched anything, and now I'm left to wonder. I've got pips and zips in there (yeah, I opened the door). How long should I wait until I open again to grab chicks?

Are you hatching quail? Or chickens? I would give it till tonight maybe but Im shure someone that knows more then me will be able to answer better. It must be frustrateing not to be able to see . what kind of bator is it ?

These guys are just chickens. Ducks and buttons will be in another week. Speaking of which, I really didn't plan that one well... ducks and baby buttons in the same hatching tray?! Ugh. Stupid me. :/

Bator is a big hunky Sportsman 1202, no window. I might have to get a clear door, or modify it to put a little window by the hatching tray.

Well the buttons will hatch way befor the ducks so it should be ok like ten days befor right? And duck eggs might not mind the extra humidity for a bit .
Yeah I shure would want a window or something .
If there chickens and they just started piping and zipping today Id take them out in the morning. Is there a way for you to up the humidity in the room the bator is in and can you mist the eggs that are still hatching when you open it in to take them out. Chicks have that big squishy belly cuase there full of youlk they wont need anything for a bit so it should be safe for them in there and safer for the ones still hatching but in the end its a personal call.

They would hatch out about 12 days after the buttons, if I had put them in at the same time. Unfortunately, I added them in about a week ago, and the duck eggs were just about two weeks ago, and the hatch date is the exact same day. :/

I'm just leaving the chicks for now. I'll check in the morning to see who all popped out. I checked about five and a half hours ago, then when I was feeling the need to peek again, I posted this thread, lol. But, yeah, I know that leaving them all night won't hurt them, but it's KILLING me!!! Lol. I have absolutely no patience!

Well... I am STILL waiting on the majority of these chicks. Freaking slow pokes. I have 13 in the brooder, 3 in the hatching tray and 8 pips. When I took the dry chicks out, I candled two of the non-pipped eggs, I have one that looks to be dead and the other is worming it's way around in there still, trying to pip the membrane. So, I still have 17 that need to pip, one that I'm not holding my breath on, and 8 pips that need to finish up. We missed auction today, since they're still poking around, but next week they'll all be going to auction, unless they sell here first.
One set of eggs was supposed to be barred Ameraucanas, but I haven't hatched a single barred chick... HOWEVER, the little chicks that are hatching out of those eggs are BLUE Ameraucanas instead, which is a good trade-off, lol.

aww pictures of fluffballs would be a nice morning treat
droolin.gif

I'll post some later. :) As it looks now, I just might have 41 chicks by tomorrow morning. AND, since they're taking so darned long to finish hatching, I missed the auction. SO, I'll be trying to manage up to 41 chicks for a week, along with my five poults. *Sigh* Maybe if I'm lucky, they'll all sell locally before auction, or at least a decent number of them, so I can save some money on feed and some sanity.

Back
Top Bottom