How long will a broody hen stay broody.

The good news is that after spending the night in the broody cage she did not act broody this morning. I let her out with the girls on the wet grass and she has not tried to nest or even sit all day although she is still making some broody vocalisations. I did put her back in the broody cage at bedtime because I think it is going in the hen house that makes her revert to broodiness each morning.

The bad news is that I am becoming concerned that something else is going on as she did not eat so well today and I expected that to be better with a reduction in broody symptoms. She is active and forages and has eaten a little grass. If you put treats out she shows an interest initially but then eats none or very little. If you seperate her from her friends and really tempt her she will eat a little corn, a few sunflower seeds and suet pellets but she takes a long time over it and refuses mealworms (which she normally loves) so she is definately off her food. Left to her own devices her crop remains practically empty. Her weight is the same as two days ago. I have ordered some equipment for tube feeding and am hoping her appetite will be better tomorrow as it has been a bit up and down lately.

She does look a bit pale, she has been wormed recently with flubenvet. I lost 2 birds to mareks last summer and although vaccinated she has undoubtedly been exposed so I am hoping it is not that causing her symptoms.

I have been weighing her every other day and I will continue to do so.
smile.png

The best way to do it is to put a big rock or brick in her nest or simply block the nest where she can't get to it. I had to do this with one of my hens because she made a nest under the roost and it was getting messy for her and the eggs.

Definately not broody today and this evening she didn't return to the hen house until it got dark despite me opening the door early - Hooray, fingers crossed the broodiness will stay sorted. She is still rather off her food and her feet are very hot. I am concerned she may have an infection of some sort what is the best method for taking her temperature (Themometer up the bum?).

Definately not broody today and this evening she didn't return to the hen house until it got dark despite me opening the door early - Hooray, fingers crossed the broodiness will stay sorted. She is still rather off her food and her feet are very hot. I am concerned she may have an infection of some sort what is the best method for taking her temperature (Themometer up the bum?).
According to the vets I have spoken with taking the temp in the cloaca is not reliable.

-Kathy

Oh OK, thanks. Well I'm pretty sure she had a temperature because her legs were boiling and when I brought her in the house where it is warmer she started to breathe with an open beak. Luckily yesterday these symptoms disappeared so if she had some sort of infection she has fought it off herself. Her appetite seems to be improving, especially today, although she is still holding out for the good stuff she is eating more of it. The broodiness has gone completely since I used the broody cage so hopefully she will now be able to gain back the weight she has lost. I'll let you know how she gets on. Thank you all for your advice and support
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom