How long will a Guinea hen remain broody?

NorthStar03

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2021
Minnesota
I have a pair of guinea hens that started a nest. Only one went broody. The nest is well protected and close to the house so I was going to let her hatch the chicks as I haven‘t had good luck hatching keets.

On June 8th, she didn’t return to the barn at night and I found her sitting on the nest. She has since been faithfully sitting on theses eggs. I figured they should hatch around July 4 or 5. When she first went broody, I counted 25 eggs, the last time she was off the nest to feed, I counted 42. It’s July 12th, and they still have not hatched. No pips, however I did candle some and they look viable. How long will she sit on them? Is there any chance they will hatch? Should I try to put some in an incubator? Thanks for any insight.

I have a pair of guinea hens that started a nest. Only one went broody. The nest is well protected and close to the house so I was going to let her hatch the chicks as I haven‘t had good luck hatching keets.

On June 8th, she didn’t return to the barn at night and I found her sitting on the nest. She has since been faithfully sitting on theses eggs. I figured they should hatch around July 4 or 5. When she first went broody, I counted 25 eggs, the last time she was off the nest to feed, I counted 42. It’s July 12th, and they still have not hatched. No pips, however I did candle some and they look viable. How long will she sit on them? Is there any chance they will hatch? Should I try to put some in an incubator? Thanks for any insight.
A single hen cannot properly cover 42 eggs. Candle the eggs, remove any non-viable eggs, put some of the viable eggs into the incubator and leave her with viable eggs that she can properly cover. No more than a dozen max. If you leave her as is, it is a very good possibility that none of the eggs will hatch.

Back
Top Bottom