HOW LONG WILL A HEN SET ON EGGS?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mark3208, Sep 22, 2008.

1. mark3208

mark3208 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    ohio
    I removed some unfertile eggs from under a game hen that went broody,and replaced them with some fertile ones,in the hope that she will hatch them.she has been missing for a few days ,so im wondering if she will stay on long enough to hatch them?

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    mm...I don't think she has excepted them. She is probably off somewhere sitting on some other eggs right now! [​IMG] Sneaky little hen! LOL [​IMG] Probably made her own little nest somewhere and hid the eggs so you can't take them. [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My dad had a game hen that sat on unfertile eggs for 3 weeks...then more unfertile eggs for 3 more weeks...then dad threw all the rest of the eggs away. She went back to setting on an empty nest. Dad felt sorry for her, put a dummy egg in the nest and bought her some babies. I wouldn't worry too much, game hens are excellent mamas!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  4. mark3208

Aug 22, 2008
    ohio
    Thanks shelley, she is gonna be a very good mama if she brings them to term,she took an awful lotta hide from my hand while i was putting the new eggs under her.[​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah that's why I don't candle my hens eggs, and have my dad do any egg adding, or chick adding. I am a 'big chicken' when it comes to being pecked!! I have one banty hen, that would screech at you if you got too close to her nest. Her chicks are so small (at <1 week old) they can get through the 1" chicken wire. I have it barricaded, but one still found it's way out earlier. I picked it up, opened the door to put it back in, and she almost got me when she saw the chick in my hand!! And she is only about 7-8 months old herself!! Who says pullets don't make good mamas?? [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some hens will set on a nest till they die, literally. Each hen is a bit different but I limit the seting time because I don't want them to become too skinny while setting.

7. mark3208

Aug 22, 2008
    ohio
    thanks all ,i appreciate the help.

8. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    My cochin hen set on any empty nest for a month. I gave up and put 2 eggs under her when I put some in the bator. We are both on day 12.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by