How long will a hen stay broody

ChandaMerrie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Okay so I'm new at this.... I have a silike she is broody it's a long story but she ended up with two of her own eggs and a frizzle egg. I wasnt sure if those eggs were fertile (I don't have a rooster, but had bought some chickens at an acution when I got home I had one frizzle male had to find him a home so he was around a few days) So, anyway, I moved her and her 3 eggs inside, and I bought a few fertile eggs and put them under her. It took me about 2 weeks to find fertile eggs. All seemed well, she sits on those eggs and will not move!!! Until yesterday, now I never took the first set of eggs, and kind of forgot about them... Until I heard peep peep peep!!! They were hatching!! Two of the 3 have hatched!! SUPER SUPER CUTE!! But now what do I do? I really want the other eggs to hatch and they still have 2 weeks!! Can someone please help me!!

Quote:
I don't have any experience w/ broody chickens, but don't think she will stay more then a couple of days w/ unhatched eggs when she has baby chicks to watch after.

Do you know anyone local w/ an incubator? Depending on how bad you want the eggs to hatch you could purchase a small styrofoam (around $50 I think) or try and make one.

How about you take the chicks that hatched and raise them yourself?

Hopefully she will remain to sit on the eggs that are left!!

Same thing nifty50 said...i always brought my chicks in and raised them, the broodies will keep sittin even if you take all the eggs in my experience.

I'm not sure that she will remain broody for the additional two weeks (for the remaining eggs) after you take the first set of chicks out. Try it - but hope for another hen to go broody for back up.

Back
Top Bottom