How long will a Turkey sit on her nest after the first egg hatches

Gravyboatdave

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2023
Hi I’ve got a Turkey that decided one day to sit on 1 chicken egg. We did notice a few more got added. This was just over 3 weeks ago, she now has 3 chicks under her and s**t load of eggs. I didn’t realise till I saw yesterday a chicken sits beside her, lays an egg, then the Turkey sneaks it under her. I’m guessing one will hatch everyday if she stays on them but how long will she sit on them.

Thanks
Dave

Generally 2 days after the first one hatches. Some stay longer, but generally the young need to eat and only have reserves for a day or two.

If you want them all to hatch you will need to pull the chicks and brood them yourself. Otherwise find an incubator.

Generally 2 days after the first one hatches. Some stay longer, but generally the young need to eat and only have reserves for a day or two.

If you want them all to hatch you will need to pull the chicks and brood them yourself. Otherwise find an incubator.
Hi thanks for that I do have an incubator I’ll get it ready. I did put some chick crumb and water out nearby for them.

Good news / bad news
She’s hatched another 2.
1 has gone missing so I’ve decided to take the 6 in as they have started to wonder off and she’s still not leaving the nest, I don’t like taking them from her but think it’s for the best.
I would remove them too.

Back
Top Bottom