How long will broody sit on nest after eggs have hatched?

Fee1inclucky

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2022
Mumma hen successfully hatched the last of three eggs yesterday. How long will it be before she leaves the nest? She was still trying to push some of the broken eggshell under her like she wanted to incubate it so I removed all shell traces. If she stays broody and refuses to leave the nest with the chicks-what do I do then? TIA

Pic for cuteness😍
1080B0A5-8B2C-4CD5-8D7D-834DCAC3990C.jpeg

Attachments

• 3786C770-2C2B-4CEB-AC7B-CB1FEBC7EFD8.jpeg
    3786C770-2C2B-4CEB-AC7B-CB1FEBC7EFD8.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 03D131B6-CAFB-4DE7-8603-58C4D9574EAF.jpeg
    03D131B6-CAFB-4DE7-8603-58C4D9574EAF.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 7
Mumma hen successfully hatched the last of three eggs yesterday. How long will it be before she leaves the nest? She was still trying to push some of the broken eggshell under her like she wanted to incubate it so I removed all shell traces. If she stays broody and refuses to leave the nest with the chicks-what do I do then? TIA

Pic for cuteness😍View attachment 3563237
Soooo fluffin adorable!!! Any..... how.. I'd suggest you get some small bowl/cups or a tray and fill one with baby chicken food and one with water. The mom will leave the nest when she feels ready but until then having food and water near then will help in the meantime.

When they hatch the chicks absorb the yolk. If they are healthy they can live at least 72 hours off of that yolk with no more food or water. At least 72 hours, not a bare minimum 72 hours. That's why chicks can be mailed to us from the hatcheries.

When the chicks get hungry or thirsty they will tell the hen with their chirping. The hen and chicks talk to each other a lot from when they internal pip forward, before they even external pip. I don't speak that language so I don't know what they are telling each other.

I've had several broody hens bring their chickens off of the nest in less than 24 hours after the first one hatched. I had one that did not bring her chicks off until 80 hours after the first one hatched. I was beginning to wonder but they were all fine. I do not feed or water them while they are in the nest to encourage the hen to bring them off. I'd agree, on average it is around 36 hours but each one can be quite different.

A word of warning. I once killed a chick by picking up a broody hen. Sometimes the chicks crawl up under her wings. I crushed one up there when I picked her up. That was a long time ago but those memories tend to stick with you. I still pick a broody up if I need to but I'm pretty careful when I do.

When they hatch the chicks absorb the yolk. If they are healthy they can live at least 72 hours off of that yolk with no more food or water. At least 72 hours, not a bare minimum 72 hours. That's why chicks can be mailed to us from the hatcheries.

When the chicks get hungry or thirsty they will tell the hen with their chirping. The hen and chicks talk to each other a lot from when they internal pip forward, before they even external pip. I don't speak that language so I don't know what they are telling each other.

I've had several broody hens bring their chickens off of the nest in less than 24 hours after the first one hatched. I had one that did not bring her chicks off until 80 hours after the first one hatched. I was beginning to wonder but they were all fine. I do not feed or water them while they are in the nest to encourage the hen to bring them off. I'd agree, on average it is around 36 hours but each one can be quite different.

A word of warning. I once killed a chick by picking up a broody hen. Sometimes the chicks crawl up under her wings. I crushed one up there when I picked her up. That was a long time ago but those memories tend to stick with you. I still pick a broody up if I need to but I'm pretty careful when I do.
Thank you for this sound advice. I have been giving them food in the nest but I’ll stop that now to encourage them to come off.

Also thank you for the warning about picking the broody up. I realised this when I tried to remove the shell and noticed something caught under her wing. Thankfully chick was ok but will never make that mistake again!

Back
Top Bottom