How long will eggs be okay to eat when left outside?

I've heard that an unwashed egg can last as long as 6 months in the refrigerator. But, for every day left outside in warm weather decreases egg life in 'fridge by one week. I dunno if that's true or not, ours never last that long.

I met someone this week who had sailed across the Atlantic, and had a difficult time finding eggs that had not been refrigerated, because, she said, that you could store unrefrigerated eggs for several weeks, but once they were refrigerated, they had to stay refrigerated. Can anyone tell me why this would be true?

It's not just in Australia that eggs are not stored commercially in the 'fridge. Most of Europe is the same. We don't get food poisoning from it.

If I buy eggs form the supermarket (God forbid!) they are just out on a shelf, and they usually get refrigerated at home, but not always. They last from laying to eating up to three months, dependent on ambient temperature and keep a bit longer if they are stored in the 'fridge.

I have shifted mine from shelf to 'fridge and back without any obvious problem. I think that there IS a problem if the egg freezes in which case it is ruined,

Sandie

Hello i have a question i have fertile eggs i think they fertile i have one male button quail n 3 females they started to lay about two monts ago so i was planning on letting them hatch so i left them in the nest its been almost two months n no hatching what should i do with this eggs also the quails never went broody they started to lay late august is october 20th now what should i do

I know I checked on the weekend and all I found were my daily yield of 3 eggs from my four 9-month-old easter eggers. My frizzled cochin had layed her first egg the day before. Then the weather grew very hot and the yield fell to 1 or two a day. But 4 black copper marans hatched the same day as the cochin, and not a sign of dark brown eggs. Monday it was a hundred here, and while it was only 91 yesterday, it was the day we culled the roosters and removing them disturbed the hens, The roos were beating up on each other and pecking at me till I was out of band-aids, and they had seriously mauled their favorite hen. I expected a positive response today from the hens with the roosters gone, but only one ee egg was to be seen. Then I decided to look again and found a cache of 7 eggs in an abandoned nesting box, including 3 BCMs, a cochin and three more ee's. With the 100-degree heat on Sunday and Monday, and 93 yesterday, I would have pitched them and not have taken the chance but for this post. I did the water test, and they passed. They were a great color and the yolks were stable. They were delicious. The color on the BCM eggs is about the same as the Penedesencas I loved so much--until the coyotes raided my coop.

I find outdoor nests every other day it seems, so far no nest over 9 eggs which tells me maybe at most 10 or 11 days ago was the first egg(in summer heat) and I can't tell the difference at all when cooking and eating them still very good. They don't seem to go back to an outdoor nest after I've raided all the eggs they just make a new one so I've started to keep fake eggs in a few of the easy to get to outdoor nests and its worked great they continue to use the nests with fake eggs, now if only they all would lay in nest boxes inside their coop instead of just most. Seems some chickens really like making their own nest.

Back
Top Bottom