How long will feed stay good?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Anna-Mossity, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Anna-Mossity

Anna-Mossity Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2007
    Horn Lake, MS
    I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything, so here goes...Long story short I have almost 50 lbs of layer/grower mix and it has been open for about a month (sealed up in a garbage can and still smells fine) but now I only have five chicks (hatched 9/10), who won't be eating it for a while. Will it stay good until they are ready for it, or should I just give it away while its still good?

Thanks!

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    keep it dry and vermin free and it should be good for about a year unless the label says different.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree, I think there will be little determent to the feed if kept dry... and even less determent if kept air tight. If seeds can sprout after being stored for decades... some even longer like that set of lotus seeds found in a tomb in asia...they gota keep alright right? I guess feed's are ground up :p

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Mine never stays around long enough to think about it going bad. [​IMG] As long as it doesn't get wet I think it's fine.

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The protien and vitamins will become stale after about 3 months, We have had it checked before

6. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I'm really glad you posted this!

I had to buy a bag of chick starter for my newest batch. The smallest available was 25lbs. Wanna see a 25lb bag look FREAKIN' ENORMOUS?? Compare it next to 3 bantam sized baby chicks!

I had read somewhere that it was only good for 1mo, and subtracting 2wks for transport to the feed store, you had about 2wks to keep it. SO VERY glad to hear that I was misinformed!!

-Meghan

7. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

My feedstore here has broken up the bags so it's possible to buy a 5 lb bag of chick starter for all us small flock people...for some reason, though, I ended up getting 150 pounds...I must need more chickens! [​IMG]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I agree that it will be fine...just keep it dry...

9. Anna-Mossity

Anna-Mossity Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2007
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks for ya'll's advice!

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    3-6 months is tops. It spoils and begins to lose nutritive value after that. I've bought in quantity and then sealed the bags in more bags and found no ill effects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by