How long will hatching eggs survive if mom leaves the nest?

KCD

Songster
Aug 17, 2018
I have a broody hen that was sitting on some eggs. The first day I moved her into a separate coop but she still has the opportunity to go out and dust bathe etc. Day 4 my hubby went out and locked everyone up but didn’t think to check everyone was where they were supposed to be. The following day we were out of town the entire day so I didn’t let them out. The morning after that, I opened up the coops and discovered that broody was in the coop with the other girls on a nest in there...sitting on unfertilized eggs. The fertilized eggs were in the other coop and had not been sat on for probably a day and a half, so the evening of day 4 up to the morning of day 6. The nest I found her on is the favored nest so I’m guessing that’s why she switched. I moved her back and she’s been sitting in the correct nest for the past 2 days. So my question is will the eggs survive? It’s been quite warm here and when I found them, without broody, they weren’t “cold” but I know for a fact they hadn’t been sat on for about 1.5 days. Should I let her keep them and see what happens or try to give her new ones? My concern with giving her ones and letting her keep the old ones is the difference between the hatching times and I don’t want her to abandon the new ones if the old ones hatch.

I have a broody hen that was sitting on some eggs. The first day I moved her into a separate coop but she still has the opportunity to go out and dust bathe etc. Day 4 my hubby went out and locked everyone up but didn’t think to check everyone was where they were supposed to be. The following day we were out of town the entire day so I didn’t let them out. The morning after that, I opened up the coops and discovered that broody was in the coop with the other girls on a nest in there...sitting on unfertilized eggs. The fertilized eggs were in the other coop and had not been sat on for probably a day and a half, so the evening of day 4 up to the morning of day 6. The nest I found her on is the favored nest so I’m guessing that’s why she switched. I moved her back and she’s been sitting in the correct nest for the past 2 days. So my question is will the eggs survive? It’s been quite warm here and when I found them, without broody, they weren’t “cold” but I know for a fact they hadn’t been sat on for about 1.5 days. Should I let her keep them and see what happens or try to give her new ones? My concern with giving her ones and letting her keep the old ones is the difference between the hatching times and I don’t want her to abandon the new ones if the old ones hatch.
Mine was off the nest on day three for eight hours and the eggs still hatched. I don't think at this point you'd see much if they were starting to develop. I'd let her sit on them for a week and then candle and see what's happening. My hen sat on two unfertilized eggs for the entire 3 weeks and they never stunk. I didn't even know they weren't fertile until the chicks hatched and I picked up the eggs that hadn't hatched.

There's not a ton of development in the earliest days, so I'd still try!

Ok, thank you for the advice! I’ll let her keep at it and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom