How long will hen stay on the nest once some of her 9 eggs have hatched?

I started with the top pic and turned it into the bottom pic still have work to be done on tunnels

Attachments

• 81AECC45-EFF0-460F-85E3-6157DCBC613D.jpeg
    81AECC45-EFF0-460F-85E3-6157DCBC613D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • F72E6302-92D6-46A4-A34B-8CD38E3C6764.jpeg
    F72E6302-92D6-46A4-A34B-8CD38E3C6764.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Hello All, I am so new to this side of "having chickens" with Mom doing all the work. 20 yrs ago we started with 15 chicks from Tractor supply, new to living in the woods and all. Keep them AS PER THE BOOK. chick cages, heat food and h2o. We studied everything we could get..from books at the library! Knock on wood we didn't lose a one, for 32 yrs. Then a cop moved in down the way and being a cop and all thought it was perfectly ok to let his dogs run wild. In one day my gang of 15 went to heaven. I swore I would never go through that pain again. We were asked to babysit a small flock of 7. Coop being re-built. (so he said) That was MAY! We let some eggs just to see what would happen, no one was acting "broody" ever. then one day she was still sitting on the nest when I went to close up for the night. So we had the family talk and agreed to go ahead and let her sit (8 eggs) and accept the outcome. She was due Weds. (a wk. ago), no babies. thur.=1 chick (so excited!!!), fri=2 chicks (over the moon tickled), sat.=2 more chicks (okay we can do this), I checked what was left for zipping or not, 1 indeed had "zipped" and peeping, the other 2 nothing. Come sunday=1 last chick. So let nature take its course, maybe longer than the 36 hours after due. We know chickens aren't born, per se, so we call this event as "Breath Week" PS 3 yellow and 3 black.....so cute!

Hello All, I am so new to this side of "having chickens" with Mom doing all the work. 20 yrs ago we started with 15 chicks from Tractor supply, new to living in the woods and all. Keep them AS PER THE BOOK. chick cages, heat food and h2o. We studied everything we could get..from books at the library! Knock on wood we didn't lose a one, for 32 yrs. Then a cop moved in down the way and being a cop and all thought it was perfectly ok to let his dogs run wild. In one day my gang of 15 went to heaven. I swore I would never go through that pain again. We were asked to babysit a small flock of 7. Coop being re-built. (so he said) That was MAY! We let some eggs just to see what would happen, no one was acting "broody" ever. then one day she was still sitting on the nest when I went to close up for the night. So we had the family talk and agreed to go ahead and let her sit (8 eggs) and accept the outcome. She was due Weds. (a wk. ago), no babies. thur.=1 chick (so excited!!!), fri=2 chicks (over the moon tickled), sat.=2 more chicks (okay we can do this), I checked what was left for zipping or not, 1 indeed had "zipped" and peeping, the other 2 nothing. Come sunday=1 last chick. So let nature take its course, maybe longer than the 36 hours after due. We know chickens aren't born, per se, so we call this event as "Breath Week" PS 3 yellow and 3 black.....so cute!
Congratulations on your babies! They are so adorable to watch.

Welcome to BYC! Good luck with the chicks!

Hello-HELLO OUT THERE!! I'm a tad overwhelmed — so many "what do I do now" questions. My six little charges are busy and so LOUD! We start our 2nd wk today, and I feel rushed to beat the weather. Mom jumped out of the brooder area I have set up and went outside, the first time in 28 days. What a kerfuffle! 2 of the adult hens took after mom like she was just a big mouse! All feet and pecking bills! Poor tried mom. I secured the kids and went out to the run. I had to stand "guard" between mom and her so-called sisters. What wrong with this picture? When mom headed back to the coop door, I was right behind her. She was more than happy to get back up with her kids. How is this going to work? The "owner" called out of the blue Sunday, he's been so busy the coop is not ready--NOT READY??? Thanks for letting me vent. Its 63 degrees, I'm already wearing my thermos, I'm so cold. I've got to call the owner and "light a fire under his butt---." I can't treat Gods critters with such disregard. Thanks, you are all so kind. I wish we could all meet up for coffee and baby pictures.

Hello-HELLO OUT THERE!! I'm a tad overwhelmed — so many "what do I do now" questions. My six little charges are busy and so LOUD! We start our 2nd wk today, and I feel rushed to beat the weather. Mom jumped out of the brooder area I have set up and went outside, the first time in 28 days. What a kerfuffle! 2 of the adult hens took after mom like she was just a big mouse! All feet and pecking bills! Poor tried mom. I secured the kids and went out to the run. I had to stand "guard" between mom and her so-called sisters. What wrong with this picture? When mom headed back to the coop door, I was right behind her. She was more than happy to get back up with her kids. How is this going to work? The "owner" called out of the blue Sunday, he's been so busy the coop is not ready--NOT READY??? Thanks for letting me vent. Its 63 degrees, I'm already wearing my thermos, I'm so cold. I've got to call the owner and "light a fire under his butt---." I can't treat Gods critters with such disregard. Thanks, you are all so kind. I wish we could all meet up for coffee and baby pictures.
If mama hen is with the chicks, she will keep them warm, you don't need to supplement heat. And at 2 weeks, don't worry about the cooler weather, they'll be fine. My hen took her 2-day old chicks outside with lows in the upper 50's and they did fine, spent a lot of time not under mom.. But by outside, I mean there was a divider between her and the main flock, as my mama hen is low in the pecking order. They had a chance to get to know each other thru the fence for about 4 weeks. And when finally integrated, it was a non-event.
Re the owner of the birds, give him an ultimatum....

Dear Sue, (I'm a Sue too) I can't thank you enough. I can't get over how much better I feel just because of your replies, thanks! I HAVE read all your replies but I don't know how to "mark them Read". I am tripping over a lot of stuff on this site, but I love it so much! I would rather keep falling down and learn something than sit in the corner and cry. Thanks for being here, thanks for being you. I just figured out about the picture over there, Mom and chick # 1.....so sweet! see you tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom