How long will it survive after interanl pipping?

MommaB

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Today is day 21. I heard peeping 24 hours ago. Still no external pip. How long can they survive after internal pipping if there is no external pip?

Personally, I would just leave it be. I often hear cheeping for over a day before I see any pips. I've never had a chick who has internally pipped then died of suffocation. Did you know it's the process of almost-suffocation that makes the chick pip through the shell? They only make the pip when their air's nearly run out. Poking them a hole before they're ready for it kind of interferes with the natural hatching process.

Not so well.
sad.png
I actually poked a small hole in 2 eggs. Still after nothing and the peeping becoming weaker and weaker I went in further. Both chicksn had internally pipped and nothing more. I wrapped them in wet paper towels and monitored them. 1 died but the other continued to try but slowly became weaker and weaker. Slowly I helped him out but he had a tinly bit of yoke still attached. He stayed like that for a day and then all of the sudden broke free. After almost another day he finally began standing and is doing fine. The other four eggs I had died. They were alive on day 18 but nothing. I'm so happy to have one baby. This whole thing was heart wrenching. He is so cute and fiesty!
smile.png

That's terrible, so sorry to hear that, I would have poked a hole after 24 hours too and if nothing after a few hours, I would have definitely interveened.

I bet that little one sure is glad you got him! Genetics and incubation temp can really effect their ability to hatch. Sometimes it's hard to know when to intervene and when to sit on your hands! It's sounds as though you knew, just make sure that if he is not going to be your new best friend you get him a buddy. I had a duckling that lived in my bra for a while as he was an only hatch. As soon as he was up and about he would follow me around till' he was tired!
lau.gif
Yes, i know I'm crazy! I loved that duck something awefull, he was like another limb!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom