how long will it take for them to figure out the pecking order

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
I have spent days correctimg Mei (17 week barred cross) she has been picking on Luna (3 month white cochin). Phoebe another 3 month old stood up to Mei, but Luna will not. How long before Mei figures out she is being bad?

I don't think you can influence the pecking order the way you are wanting to. They are not being bad, just being chickens. And the pecking order is changeable. Illness, additions, deaths, many things will affect the order. If you can provide a place for the little chicken to get away from the big one, and make sure they are getting enough food, you may just have to let nature take it's course. I said you can't influence the pecking order, but some very observant chicken keepers say the more you mess with and try to protect the low girl, the more she will be picked on. The chickens do notice if you coddle one of them. So be careful you don't make the problem last longer than it needs to.

Quote:
Agreed. The pecking order should be up and running well by age six weeks or so. It starts getting sorted out from day one together in the brooder. The thing is, it's best to let them sort it out. No blood being drawn? Leave them to handle it.

Well the problem is none of these chicks were raised together, I got Mei and Bruno first (Bruno was rehomed due to being very mean). Then I got the three chicks (who are still in a cage in the coop) and finally I got Luna and Phoebe.

I do spend time out there about 2-3 hours a day so I know Luna is eating and drinking. Today she got mad at me because I forced her outside to eat the treats with the other girls. Luna is very shy and timid around the other chickens and seems to get along the best with our rabbit and me.

I recently added a 12 week girl to my other older 2. At first I put up a fence within the run so she would be close and visible, but she had her own food and water. Within a few days she really seemed to want to be with the others, and managed to escape at night to join them in the coop. When I let her in with the others during the day they were pretty rough on her, but no actual injuries. But she seemed MORE distressed to be fenced off. It bothered me enough I took a friend's suggestion and got a spray bottle. When I was around and the older girls got too brutal I squirted them. They'd scurry off. Of course they would repeat the process later, but it made me feel better and gave her a short respite. I also put a big plastic box (a recycle box) in one corner that she could dart behind, too. She used it, but not too often. After 3 weeks I took it out. She's still at the bottom of the pecking order and gives a wide berth to the older ones, especially when food is involved!

Good Luck!

She won't figure out she's being 'bad' because she's only being normal. The pecking order is an integral of poultry dynamics and is never 'figured out'. It is an everchanging process where those on the bottom are continually hoping to improve their position. Lower ranked hens and roosters are continually on the look out for weakness in those above them. Those on top are continually reinforcing their dominance. It's the way that it is--normal.

Back
Top Bottom