How long will it take my girls to adjust to being without a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by staceyl, Sep 23, 2009.

1. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    My Bruno got hit by a car this afternoon. [​IMG] We didn't originally intend to get a rooster, but we became kind of attached to him. However, I don't think we will be replacing him - at least not until next spring.
    My girls are calling rather sadly. Should I expect no eggs for a while? Anything else I need to think about?
    Stacey

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. IN-farmgirl

IN-farmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    ONe of the hens may step in and take the lead roll. Don't be surprised if one of the hens starts crowing. They will still lay eggs without him.

3. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    Oh I know they will still lay - was just thinking the stress/change might impact them for a bit?

5. IN-farmgirl

IN-farmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Sorry about your roo. Very sad....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  6. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine were totally beside themselves for the few months that I didn't have a roo. They seemed to keep looking for him and just couldn't get around without him. If they free-range the hens might be in trouble - since the roo typically keeps an eye to the sky.

ps. if you want a little BO roo and live in the NE I've got one. [​IMG]

7. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    I'm afraid I'm on the other end of the country, but thanks for the offer! They are only about 6 months old, so maybe being pretty young they will adjust faster? Or is that wishful thinking?

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls took about 3 minutes to get over the loss of their roo, and are now working on growing their feathers back.

9. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    Well, that's quite a variation in answers. Anyone else?

10. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    My rooster Mirage left our backyard flock at 12 weeks old to begin his new life at a nice farm nearby. Actually, he was still a cockerel...and the young pullets, 12-13 week olds, missed his young manly energy for all of about 2 days.

I think it depends on how old they are and how long they've been living with their rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by