How long will my chicks peep?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nwe319, Apr 16, 2012.

1. nwe319

nwe319 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    My Buff Orpington/Rhode Island Red cross chicks (10 of them) are 16 weeks old. The thing is that they still peep just as if they were a day old. They all sound the same, no different than my week old chicks. My question is 1) is this normal, and 2) how long will this last before they crow/ cackle. Thanks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

'Tis a bit of a sad day when their adolescent voices begin to change. Yes, their voices change as they approach sexual maturity, often around 16-18 weeks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    It's pretty normal for them to still peep, until around the time they start laying. My chickens took almost 20 weeks, but their voices started breaking earlier. :p
    Most likely your chickens' peeps would've gotten a lil deeper. I never actually noticed and thought that their voices hadn't changed... until I listened to a recording I'd taken of them as week-olds!

4. yakibert

yakibert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Whidbey Island, Wa
    I have two barred rocks and they still peep ...but they also make other noises ..one is like an "off" peep ..another noise seems to be "WHAT WAS THAT!?" ..another noise seems to be like a "what did I find?" ...in other words, there's some variance but there's still the cute "peep".

5. nwe319

nwe319 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys, I noticed today that one is starting to get a little different, but it's just that one!

6. I noticed my 12 week old Barred Rocks voices sounding raspy when they try to peep. It's funny.... They cluck too....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by