How Long Will These Ducks Be Around?

No disasters (serious illness, injury or predators), they could be with you ten years or more, from anything I have read. This is a bit of a generalization, and I don't know if Rouens are particularly short or long lived compared to ducks in general.

I have met a 12 year old Swedish duck.

I've read that on average, a duck lives 20 years, but as Amiga said, that is a wide generalization and is only if the duck does not succumb to illness, get eaten by a predator, and it must be in top condition.

Wow - this is quite a commitment I have embarked upon.
Thank you both!

Hope it gets easier when they go to live outside.
barnie.gif

night lows to about 50 degrees now but in SF it always feels cooler with the wind and fog.

They are pretty well feathered with still some tubular covering on the lower wing feathers.
Could I get them outside in another week with a heatlamp and an enclosed wood coop for night?

Last edited:
Since I just witnessed an extremely ugly loss of duck lives (a friend's flock), bear with me as I gently and sincerely urge you to make absolutely sure that where they are housed is secure from anything that might break in and kill them. Ducks are as good as defenseless.

You may or may not have raccoons, skunks, large rats, feral cats, dogs, or who-knows-what that come around when you are not at hand, day or night.

Also, temperature extremes include heat, so be sure there is appropriate shade and clean fresh water.

Water management is a challenge for most of us at first (voice of experience here . . . ) but once you get it, it's great. Keeping the water away from the bedding either by having a watering station or enclosed porch or wire platform is good.

Amiga,
Thank you for your heartfelt advise and warning!

Yes I live in the heart of the city with a postage stamp size back yard and we have a surprising assortment of 4 and 2 legged critters about.
I have first hand raccoon experience having had a rake between myself and a Daddy coon while his family made it over the fence to relative safety. Another time a young female came over the fence in broad daylight - I guess to find a home for a litter or food.
And she came back the next day while I was at work and put a hurting on my (at that time young) Jack Russell Terror.

We also have Possum and have even seen coyotes late at night in the streets.
I was even concerned about having a random red tailed hawk flying overhead while the ducklings were in the garden as they were smaller.

I have discussed keeping chickens with others who have lost them to coons.
So this weekend, I am building up a Duck Fortress for my little buddies - Bubbles and Tofu - a coop with a small run and a lockable elevated box for night lockdown.
I also plan to put wire mesh under the bottom of the entire run and surround the bottom run exterior with some 1x6 pressure treated wood wrapping the bottom wire mesh over the outside as additional chew resistance for critters on the outside (the nasty wood - inaccessible to the ducks).

If everything goes well Bubbles and Tofu will be moving outside this weekend as my wife has served them an eviction notice.
Thank you for all your help!
Best,
Rob

Last edited:
Thanks, Rob,

I feel that your post would be helpful to all beginning duck people. Many of us had not realized the extent of the traffic of wild animals through our urban or suburban yards at night before having ducks. Some don't realize it until too late for the ducks.

Good for you, for understanding and preparing for it!

Amiga,
Thank you for your heartfelt advise and warning!

Yes I live in the heart of the city with a postage stamp size back yard and we have a surprising assortment of 4 and 2 legged critters about.
I have first hand raccoon experience having had a rake between myself and a Daddy coon while his family made it over the fence to relative safety. Another time a young female came over the fence in broad daylight - I guess to find a home for a litter or food.
And she came back the next day while I was at work and put a hurting on my (at that time young) Jack Russell Terror.

We also have Possum and have even seen coyotes late at night in the streets.
I was even concerned about having a random red tailed hawk flying overhead while the ducklings were in the garden as they were smaller.

I have discussed keeping chickens with others who have lost them to coons.
So this weekend, I am building up a Duck Fortress for my little buddies - Bubbles and Tofu - a coop with a small run and a lockable elevated box for night lockdown.
I also plan to put wire mesh under the bottom of the entire run and surround the bottom run exterior with some 1x6 pressure treated wood wrapping the bottom wire mesh over the outside as additional chew resistance for critters on the outside (the nasty wood - inaccessible to the ducks).

If everything goes well Bubbles and Tofu will be moving outside this weekend as my wife has served them an eviction notice.
Thank you for all your help!
Best,
Rob

Sounds like you have it well thought out!

Back
Top Bottom