How long will this last?

amanning0924

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2015
East Tennessee

My sweet little EE finally laid her first egg this week!
woot.gif
And better than that, she has left me a sweet little green egg for 3 days in a row. We just started keeping chickens in Aug. This is my first experience with a hen that has just come into laying. I don't know what "normal" is but I didn't expect her to lay this many eggs at first. We live in east Tn and it's not super cold here yet but the days are shorter and I know alot of chickens don't lay as much. Our other 2 hens(who were already laying when we got them) have taken a break and only lay here and there but here is this new layer going to town. My question is how long will this last? I just kinda want to know what to expect so I am not super disappointed when the little green eggs stop coming..haha

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Since it is a pullet laying regularly, it will probably continue through winter because we are coming into the shortest days of the year. In three weeks days will be getting longer.

AuntNomi

Songster
5 Years
Aug 13, 2015
Callahan, Florida!

My sweet little EE finally laid her first egg this week!
woot.gif
And better than that, she has left me a sweet little green egg for 3 days in a row. We just started keeping chickens in Aug. This is my first experience with a hen that has just come into laying. I don't know what "normal" is but I didn't expect her to lay this many eggs at first. We live in east Tn and it's not super cold here yet but the days are shorter and I know alot of chickens don't lay as much. Our other 2 hens(who were already laying when we got them) have taken a break and only lay here and there but here is this new layer going to town. My question is how long will this last? I just kinda want to know what to expect so I am not super disappointed when the little green eggs stop coming..haha

Congrats! That sure is a pretty egg! I would expect that she keep laying, being as she started at this time in the year. Best of luck!

Top Bottom