1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will this last?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amanning0924, Dec 2, 2015.

1. amanning0924

amanning0924 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2015
    East Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    My sweet little EE finally laid her first egg this week![​IMG] And better than that, she has left me a sweet little green egg for 3 days in a row. We just started keeping chickens in Aug. This is my first experience with a hen that has just come into laying. I don't know what "normal" is but I didn't expect her to lay this many eggs at first. We live in east Tn and it's not super cold here yet but the days are shorter and I know alot of chickens don't lay as much. Our other 2 hens(who were already laying when we got them) have taken a break and only lay here and there but here is this new layer going to town. My question is how long will this last? I just kinda want to know what to expect so I am not super disappointed when the little green eggs stop coming..haha

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Since it is a pullet laying regularly, it will probably continue through winter because we are coming into the shortest days of the year. In three weeks days will be getting longer.

3. amanning0924

amanning0924 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2015
    East Tennessee
    Awesome! Thanks! I hope that is the case!

4. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!

Congrats! That sure is a pretty egg! I would expect that she keep laying, being as she started at this time in the year. Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by