How long would it take to get fertil eggs if I rented a rooster?

By bringing another bird into your flock, even if it's just for a couple of days you are exposing your hens to any and everything that rooster has or has been exposed to. It would seem to me the risk would not be worth it. If you want a roo I'd buy one and quarentine him for at least 30 days before putting him in with the hens.

Good Morning Everyone,

I don't want a roo as my neighbors would hate me and I really do like to sleep in on weekends.

Also I know how hard it is to get rid of a rooster, so getting one for a short period is not really an option.

The service provided is you take your hen to them and it will stay with the roo in a single coop (lovers suite
tongue.png
)

I'm not saying I'm going to do this but its peaked my curiosity.

Thanks everyone!

Don

Wouldn't that be stressfull for a hen to get moved to a strange place, just to have a roo force himself on her if she is not willing. I've seen the backs on some hens from mating and really don't know if my girls will ever have a roo.

There was a link on here recently of a guy in FL who was having to get rid of his roo. The article made mention that the roo was not a noise issue since he slept in a quiet box. Anyone know or have opinions on a quiet box. Might consider getting a roo if he doesn't wake the neighbors.

In general "quiet boxes" don't work with most Roos. Especially not over any period of time. The theory is generally, cramped where they cannot flap, away from stimulus and unable to stretch, flap or see hens the rooster will not crow. It's fertilizer. Having had to crate an injured and ill roosters from time to time - nope the buggers still crow in most cases.

And unless for injury or illness - I don't think crating a grown LF rooster is kind for any lengthy period of time.

While some roosters are hard on all hens, or their favorite hens and require those hens require saddles - my hen that wears the saddle is almost always found within two or three feet of the rooster in question, George. He is obviously the bird she wants to be around - regardless of requiring the saddle to prevent feather loss. These are free range birds she could be an acre from him. Nope, right beside him. He finds insects and calls to her to come get them.

While a hen might fuss and feathers are lost - hens actually depend on a Rooster, do poorly if the Rooster isn't strong and capable and pine when he is lost.

I'd rather keep a rooster and see a hen lose some feathers than miss the whole dynamic of the flock and family bond that goes on when there's a good rooster in charge.

We just got a rooster about a month ago it took him about a week and a half before the hens would even let him near them without attacking him and trying to tear off his comb and waddle. Now about 75% of our eggs are fertile a few of our 2 year old hens are still giving him a run for his money. you can always look on craigslist in your area people are always rehoming roosters for free or or for $5 i found my rooster from a fellow BYCer in the for sale and wanted section. i just posted i was looking for a good rooster that wants a dozen girlfriends in my area.

Cyberous,
Too bad you don't live near me. I have 15 very healthy, wonderful roos and your hen(s) would be welcome here for free (as long as I could verify that they are healthy.
You gave me an idea about stud service, but disease is an issue, so I guess I'll pass on that one.
Anyway, good luck to you. Let us know how the stud service works out if you do it.

Oh, BTW, my hens KNOW their rooster. The roos I have with my hens are getting some age on them, so sometimes I swap them out for one of my younger guys in order to get for-sure fertilized eggs. Even if the younger one is the son of and a dead-ringer for the older guy, the hens know the difference. They give him heck for several days before they adjust to him, if they ever do. They WELCOME their guy back when I put the old guys back in with them.

By the same token, my roos have their favorite hens. I have two pens side-by-side. The hens come and go under the common fence. The roos respect each other's territory and don't go under the fence. When it comes to breeding, some hens always go with the one roo and some hens always go with the other. They go to bed at night divided up the same way. It makes me feel like I'm forcing the hens to be unfaithful to their husband when I put the younger guys in with them.

I, too, have seen hens "mourn" the loss of their roo.

I have pics of one of my roos with his wing spread out over a couple of his hens while on the roost, if anyone wants to see them. I think we humans underestimate sometimes relationships among animals..... even chickens.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing he could probably get one for free....

I agree, we sell roos for $3.00, buy it, use it and give it away when u r done....
WAD

Back
Top Bottom