How Long?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ilovechickens, Nov 1, 2008.

1. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I have a Banty Cochin that hatched one egg yesterday she still has 5 eggs left, I checked today and the five are still not hatched. How long do I let her sit on the eggs. I don't know how to candle. [​IMG] I think that her eggs are staggered by a day or so. I don't know. I didn't think that they layed this late in the year, yet this cold.[​IMG] Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Give her at least one more day and then I'd take them away from her so she will get off the nest with her baby so it can eat and drink. Lot's of luck! [​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    A chick can go 3 days without food and mom will decide when the hatch is over. You really shouldn't interfere unless it is putting the chick at risk. I would recommend putting a chick feeder and waterer near her and the baby can come out to eat/drink at it's leisure and go back under mom to stay warm.

If you have doubts about how they were laid, I wouldn't take them away for another week.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by