How long

It depends on how quickly you "harden" them off the heat lamp or plate.

Typically with artificially brooded chicks, it is when they are fully feathered, which is about 4 to 5 weeks of age.

If the weather is cool (noticing you are in Australia so the opposite season of me), you may wait a week or so more to 8 weeks of age.

As to how quickly you can get chicks out naturally, my broody hens have the babes out scratching in the snow on day 3 or 4, running around in their warm down jackets, catching warm ups in momma's warming hutch.

So you don't have to overheat the chicks. Allow them plenty of room to roam in natural temperature, warming themselves as needed, as you'll likely have them out closer to 4 to 5 weeks than 8.

LofMc

Have another question if you collect Ur chickens fertile eggs and hatch them n raise the chicks when you put them out with there parents eventually, do the parents know they are there off spring.

It depends on how quickly you "harden" them off the heat lamp or plate.

Typically with artificially brooded chicks, it is when they are fully feathered, which is about 4 to 5 weeks of age.

If the weather is cool (noticing you are in Australia so the opposite season of me), you may wait a week or so more to 8 weeks of age.

As to how quickly you can get chicks out naturally, my broody hens have the babes out scratching in the snow on day 3 or 4, running around in their warm down jackets, catching warm ups in momma's warming hutch.

So you don't have to overheat the chicks. Allow them plenty of room to roam in natural temperature, warming themselves as needed, as you'll likely have them out closer to 4 to 5 weeks than 8.

LofMc

Sorry to bother you again. After candling the eggs there has been a large black part seen in the eggs towards the top of them, does this mean something is growing inside? Thanks.

Sorry to bother you again. After candling the eggs there has been a large black part seen in the eggs towards the top of them, does this mean something is growing inside? Thanks.
No bother. Happy to help.
At what day are you. At about 10 days forward, with simple candling techniques, such as hand holding over a flashlight, you see a black blob at one end, generally the round end. As the chick grows you see a bit more of the air cell as clear space above with sometimes a vein.

But most simple candling shows a black blob on one end...yep that is a chick.

check again around day 17 but not past 18 to be sure it is still growing. Then lock down meaning no touch or disturb until after day 21. If by 23 nothing has happened, gently candle and shake. Bad eggs will slosh with a thud.

Good luck with your hatch

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom