Dec 8, 2008
Waco, Texas
On Scale of 0-10 and 10 being loud
How loud are these ducks

Welsh Harlequin
Australian Spotted
Dutch Hook Bill
anconas

Hubby is mulling over letting me order ducks again. He just came in and asked if they would be loud.

I already have 3 blk bellied whistling ducks. I don't know what their scale is either.. LOL
Thank you for any help..
I would love to get both welsh Harlequins and the Australian spotted but don't think I can keep them together.

Which of the above are the most calm and non flighty too

Last edited:
I have Hookbills.
The drakes are quiet.
The ducks are loud, but only when separated from each other or excited to eat dinner.
They don't make much noise just for the fun of it.
They are pretty calm.

I have one Welsh Harlequin hen but I've never had the other breeds so I can't compare to them. Compared to Runner and Campbell hens she would be a 6 if the Campbell is an 8 and the Runner a 9.
I have a comment/question to add to this about WH if it is OK?
She doesn't quack very loud or very often, but she makes another noise a lot. Or I should say she made it a lot when I first got her and had to get used to being at the bottom of the pecking order, and she has been doing it again since she has been molting. I think of it like a squeeky toy sort of sound, or maybe a little like a sheep bleeting. Comparing the loudness level it would be maybe a 3 or 4, but she will just keep going with it for a long time if there is anything remotely exciting going on. My question to other Welsh Harlequin owners is do you get this from your hens too? And how often?

There are muscovies at the river in Cameron Park.. Hubby thinks they are way too big.. Plus he is not inpressed with the barnacales on their faces... Sigh.. ( I guess theirs is a face only a mom can love).. After I am finally able to decide on which breeds. Next season I'll try for a couple muscovies( LOL). Or order hatching eggs and have some muscovy eggs snuck in the batch. ( Shame on me).
I really want the Welsh Harlequins( silver and gold) but also want the Australian spotted but am afraid that they are too small to be with the Wh"s.. also would love to have a couple of the Anaconas and the hook bills.. same thing there too will they be too big to be with the WH's..

Plus Hubby asked how loud will they be.. so I need the least loud I can get.. But also want good egg production..
Thank you for all input I can get

Quote:
My Cayugas are pretty quiet...they are not the survivors the Muscovies are, though...because unlike the Muscovies, the Cayugas do not fly and move MUCH slower.
smile.png
But they are pretty & very nice. They are relatively quiet until feeding time!

Oh and the carnucles are SEXY! LOL

We went to the Brazos river a few weeks ago. It goes through Cameron Park. and we saw the flock of muscovies close to one of the bridges.. inside the park.. They could fly really well.. Further up the river there are alot of other ducks and 3 geese.. I'm glad spring is here. But don't look forward to all the ducks that will be dumped there after easter..

Quote:
The WH girls purr a lot, and rarely quack loud...when they do it's usually in protest of the trash truck waking them up at 6 am in the morning, and as soon as the truck leaves they go right back to sleep for another hour or so. But even then, it's no where near as loud as Pekin....maybe about a 6, if that. But it's my drake that does the squeaky toy thing. And he doesn't quack loud at all, just a quiet hoarse quack that you can't hear at all if you are inside unless you're by an open window and he's right under it at the time. Yep...WH are the perfect city ducks.
smile.png

all mallard derived ducks (not muscovies) that are female are loud quackers. If they want anything, if you don't do something, like feeding, on schedule, they will let you know. Some ducks, like runners and pekins, like to quack a lot more often sometimes when they are bored. The littler the ducks, the more noise they seem to produce. All male ducks or all breeds are quiet

Back
Top Bottom