How loud are your roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lengel, May 21, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Some of our fellow chicken owners are surprised that I would give up whichever of our chicks turn out to be roosters. Others take it for granted that I would do so given the noise.

How loud are your roosters? And, importantly, how far away is your nearest neighbor?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    My loudest rooster is Dot. He is 2 pound air horn. He once stood on my shoulder and crowed. For the next day or so all I could hear out of that ear was a high pitched screeching sound.

During the day it doesn't matter. The neighbors either work or don't mind it. At night I keep the window facing the neighbor's house closed on Dot's house. The distance from his window to their window is about 100 feet. He has his first crowing session at 4:30am every morning. I love hearing them all crow. If I don't hear each crow in order I have to get up to see what's wrong.

The rest can get loud if they want, but at night I have them dampened by the way the coops are designed and positioned.

Matt

3. gobbles!

gobbles! Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    There are no rules/regs concerning roosters where I live, so my neighbors shouldn't have a problem. [​IMG]

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    our rooster isn't very loud.....one of them is gender confused! Our mottled houdan is the one crowing, and the barred rock is the one that doesn't know he's a boy....I hope the neighbors don't have a problem with them!

5. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I have 5 roosters and my bantam RIR is the loudest. The D'Uccle is usually the first to crow, around 4:00am, and is the 2nd loudest. The other 3 are MG and OEG bantams. Their crows aren't too loud.

I have a neighbor on each side of us, and when we ask, they tell us that the roosters are no problem. There are no rules regarding roosters where we live either.

6. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    my ee is my loudest (I only have 2, and my oegb sounds like a rubber ducky). I'd say he's average though. I asked the neighbor on one side of me one day, and she said "oh, you have a rooster?". So I guess he's ok LOL We had some friends camp on our property over the weekend, and the dh named him "the Overachiever" because he crows at all hours, day and night!

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Not sure how loud they are, but my roo, Captain Jean LaFitte, says "Yo Ho Ho" rather than "Cockadoodle-Doo" Probably because I used to play sea chanties for him as he was growing up. My other roo, Calico Jack, says "Yo Ho" and sounds like a party horn. He doesn't crow as much as Lafitte.

I can faintly hear my neighbor's roo (we're on 6 acre parcels)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by