How low should I put the nesting box?

Hello everyone I’m writing here so I can give everyone a answer at once😊 i have decided to get some wood and put on the edges of the boxes, so they can jump up on the sticks and into the nesting boxes😊 how does that sound?
Also I just lost a hen in my flock so can I start putting the wood in this weekend or do I need to wait so they can get over the loss of the hen?

Hello everyone I’m writing here so I can give everyone a answer at once😊 i have decided to get some wood and put on the edges of the boxes, so they can jump up on the sticks and into the nesting boxes😊 how does that sound?
Also I just lost a hen in my flock so can I start putting the wood in this weekend or do I need to wait so they can get over the loss of the hen?
Sorry for your loss :hugs 💕
I think go for it with the wood. Sooner the better and a good distraction for the flock.

I have 4 nesting boxes in my coop already but 2 of my hens don’t use them,
it’s ironically the biggest and the smallest hen that don’t use them. I have a theory that the smallest one can’t jump that high bc she can’t even jump up on the roost and the biggest one is just lazy I think.
But should I build a small one close to the ground they can lay in or is that a bad idea bc of animals that could get into it easily
This is only my experience. I have a little, very little Mille dU who roosts on a board that is 4 feet high, no problem, She just flyes up there. This is her personal space away from the big girls.

Update:
After I put the wood up, I also made a little nesting box to put on the floor my big hen started using the box on the wall and sometimes also the little one on the ground but mostly the one on the wall yay🎉

My little hen didn’t lay in any of the boxes, but we later found out that she does have a brain injury and that she is OLD so we don’t really expect much of her, she does lay an egg outside every day so that’s at least something🤣👍

Back
Top Bottom