How many are training or have young horses?

We breed sport ponies and sport horses, so always youngsters in training here.
Hight isn't the issue, its how strong the horse or pony is built.
My ponies can carry adults with no issues. (now I am not saying they can carry a 250 lb adult, its just common sense)
What kind of horse is she?
There is nothing more rewarding than starting your own youngster that you raised.

Twinlights is right about size not really being as big an issue as everyone makes it out to be. As long as we are not talking major difference...like a 10 hand pony with a 6 foot 250 pound person! LOL However, I know a guy who has two cutting horses he shows that are right at 14 hands. He is well over 6 foot - and I am talkinig like 6'3 if not bigger. I find that I enjoy the shorter horses the older I get. Or I should say my knees enjoy them! LOLOL My daughter is 5'1 and working on shetlands.

I have a two-year-old colt whose dam I bred (and still own). I just started him in January, and put about 20 days on him. Then, about a month ago, I turned him out in the arena for a day of play, and he came in 3 legged lame.
sad.png
Can't figure out what caused it, we're just keeping him on pretty strict stall rest in the hopes that it gets better soon. If he heals up ok, he'll end up being a reined cow horse or a strict reiner.

I love working with young horses.

I have 2 3 yr olds, my mare is at a friends and she is riding her. I am working on my stallion.
I will alsohave 2 foals within the next month that will be fitted for Halter when weaned.
Then one of my broodmares is hubbies riding horse, so she will go back into training after the foal is weaned.

I have a friesian foal due on the 21st or 20somethingeth of this month.

Ponies are a big commodity these days! Train her up and sell her to "the other half" for their sweet little shnookems to ride in the local show ring! Good money that!

Have fun!

How are you training? natural? is there anyone in particular who's techniques you'll be mimicking?

I have a three year old that I am doing all the ground work on. She is still too young and underdeveloped for full training.
I will get her to the point of saddle, weight, bit, commands, trailering etc., then next year when she is four,she will go to my Trainer for finishing.
For a year I will put light trail miles on her and when she is five I will take her back to my trainer for more advanced work.

I got two who are between two and three. one filly and a stally. Both doing pretty good had the stally from birth but the filly only about a year. So we had the stally pretty tame and used to us and his halter and saddle pretty early. I can even get up on him already. hes pretty strong. But he dont get the going forward part yet. lol The filly havent really worked with her as much but shes got a pretty soft mouth so it wont be hard.

Thanks everyone! I'm happy to see so many people with young horses! Seems like its a pretty popular thing to do these days.

I do have pictures ofher, but they are the same ones I've posted a few times already! I'm waiting for the weather to clear so I can bring her into the round pen and get a few really nice ones.

She is a paint horse and 15hh, or even 14.3 hh would be ok for me. I do like horses a little larger, usually in the 15.1-15.2 range, but I am a bigger person, so that's why. I have an old quarter horse mix gelding who is 15 hh and carries me fine. Our other gelding is 15.3 and my original mare was 15.2. We'll just have to see though. It would be a shame to train her all up and have to sell, but sometimes that's what you have to do!

I don't plan on actually starting her myself. We will most likely send her out for a couple months for that. I do plan on training her up to the point where she will take a saddle, bit, and will understand the basic commands of the reins. She will probably be started next spring (provided she grows a little more!) *If* she turns out to be an easy trainer, which she might, I may be on her back before we have a trainer work with her. The main thing is I don't want to get hurt, but we will most definitely have help (and lots of books and videos!)

I am using mostly natural type horsemanship, with pressure release. She really seems to understand that. I'm mixing a few other methods in there, but trying to keep the training relaxing and fun for her. She just really wants to please!

Everybody else, feel free to post pictures of your guys!

I have two young ones right now. One is a quarter horse that is 3 this year. We have his mother and did have his father until he passed. He is a gelding that should stay under 14 hands. He is for my son. I am going to lightly start him this year.

I also have my dream horse. He is a two year old quarter stallion. I showed his father and my sister showed his mother. He should be a wonderful show horse in the future. He is at a halter trainer getting ready for the show ring. He won't be started under saddle until the end of this year or next. He is homozygous black and a mininal roan. THe only thing is I think he is going to be taller than I like. I will just have to wait and see.

We have a 3yr old QH who is at the trainers now, she's doing really well and they have nothing but great things to say about her. We go pick her up Saturday and then take her to where our granddaughter's 4H leader so they can work with her and the granddaughter to get ready for the fairs! Soooo one day she'll finally get to come home but we've got a couple months more of waiting!!

Back
Top Bottom