How many birds can fit "comfortably"

I assume my limiting factor will be the coop then... as according to the 4sqft rule... unless I messed up. Based on run alone, the run (not the coop) can hold 312.5(absolute max) which is prob way more than I need.
No, you're not reading the guidelines correctly.
You stated your run is 25 x 50 = 1250,
divided by the 10sqft per bird is 125 birds.

No, you're not reading the guidelines correctly.
You stated your run is 25 x 50 = 1250,
divided by the 10sqft per bird is 125 birds.
Thank you I misread. I think my limiting factor will still be my coop. One website said you could just measure out 1 foot of roost space for each bird and this would give you a number. This is accurate?

What is your objective exactly though? To MAX out your space, provide only minimum or ?? Case in point, going bigger will always be better. My run is 500sq. ft. but I don't have 50 birds in it, I have 14. And that's only when they're not enjoying 5 acres free range.... I wouldn't even have chickens if I had to deal with a dirty decimated patch of land. They're worse than horses I swear. So I rotate them around my land. I let it heal and grow back, etc. But that's just one/my approach. What are your goals?

What is your objective exactly though? To MAX out your space, provide only minimum or ?? Case in point, going bigger will always be better. My run is 500sq. ft. but I don't have 50 birds in it, I have 14. And that's only when they're not enjoying 5 acres free range.... I wouldn't even have chickens if I had to deal with a dirty decimated patch of land. They're worse than horses I swear. So I rotate them around my land. I let it heal and grow back, etc. But that's just one/my approach. What are your goals?
My objective would be to house more birds... comfortably
Mostly cause my incubator produces 270 chicks per run and I would like to be able to also produce meat. I want to be able to house more, so I can shuffle the males/extra hens in and out. Keeping my main egg flock intact.

My objective would be to house more birds... comfortably
Mostly cause my incubator produces 270 chicks per run and I would like to be able to also produce meat. I want to be able to house more, so I can shuffle the males/extra hens in and out. Keeping my main egg flock intact.
Do you presently keep any chickens...if so for how long have you done that?
Are you selling eggs?
Are you planning on selling chicks?
270 chicks is A LOT!!

Yeah I have like 5 hens, 1 Rooster and 13 pullet 1 cockerel. 270 is just max capacity, was given a deal I couldn't refuse. Included a separate hatcher that could hold 270 as well. It has 270 max capacity but I don't have to run it at max nor would I ever... and I have sold some eggs to the neighbors that is all. IF anything I would like to be able raise what I can to age 12-14 weeks and butcher for meat. Leaving still a full sitting flock of hens (with just 1-2 main full-time rooster). Ideas?

(Its the 1502 Sportsman from GQF with built in fan/electric thermostat and separate 1550 Hatcher)

Would be 270 chicks every 18 days (not 21, as the hatcher is separate and again MAX, not what I am going to run it as... max is for like end of times production)

I guess I should/could sell chicks/eggs if need be as well. I have not really though.

I also kind of want to give the brahma hens the production of a Australorp as I want a better meat/egg bird.

The other cockerel may be a double blue gene carrying single comb rooster that I COULD make EE with. (most of the flock are brown layers)

I have a lot of projects... I am new but love to learn everything I can.

Last edited:
Recommended minimums per "backyard kept" bird (not commercial battery production set ups) are 10 square feet of run space, 4 square feet of coop floor space and 1 foot of roost space. More is always better (says me who is expecting a delivery of chicks next week that will put me at EXACTLY those minimum capacities if all chicks survive).

The coop floor space matters especially if you get any bad weather where the chickens don't want to go out or cant be let out.

Does it snow where you are and is your run covered?

Recommended minimums per "backyard kept" bird (not commercial battery production set ups) are 10 square feet of run space, 4 square feet of coop floor space and 1 foot of roost space. More is always better (says me who is expecting a delivery of chicks next week that will put me at EXACTLY those minimum capacities if all chicks survive).

The coop floor space matters especially if you get any bad weather where the chickens don't want to go out or cant be let out.

Does it snow where you are and is your run covered?
I already said my run is rain/snow/wind proof and my zone is 7a/b has not snowed here in a few years... but can snow.

But with that said you're saying, the minimum floor space in the coop. Would max me out at 25, okay thank you. I should build more coops.

For your instance, could they not also just have access to rain/snow coverings outside of their coop to increase the floor number? As they would roost at night and you said they need the floor in rain/snow. Could they have floor not in the coop, covered to count as floor for that number?

Run is 6' tall with bird netting over that and really tall/roosting bars(in the run, not just the coop).

Back
Top Bottom