How many birds killed by Dogs.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by deerman, Nov 27, 2008.

1. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Like to know how many birds others have lost to dogs.

2. Patch of Heaven Farm

Patch of Heaven Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I have lost 20 birds to dogs. [​IMG]

3. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    had a pup (Border collie x heeler) that played too hard with birds that killed a couple. Now she has coon & possum to 'worry to death', doesn't play with the birds too much now.

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    My dog has (only) killed one of mine but he took another for a long walk (she survived with no damage) and he recently got my roo as well and managed to pluck him pretty good. [​IMG]

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    atleast 20 between my PREVIOUS dogs. [​IMG]

6. pebblessix

pebblessix Out Of The Brooder

I have lost 3 to my dogs. My dogs do not mess with the adult birds, but if they get a hold of a chick, it's a gonner. I had to buy a new cage for the little ones. The last cage had a tray that pulled out and the dogs worked the tray out and got a couple of birds. The new tray is made differently and they cannot do this. (My adult birds are bigger than my dogs!)

7. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    17 baby Millies, my little Frenchie too them out in just a few minutes.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Zero for now. My dog HATES other dogs and doesn't care about chickens in the slightest.

9. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Zero for my dogs. I have two Great Pyrenees sisters that I have had since they were a year old. Someone gave them to a vet to rehome and my daughter fell in love with them. I showed them my chickens and leashed them everyday for a week or so to walk with me feeding. Turned them loose after a week and crossed my fingers. Now they are the protectors of my chickens AND my grand-daughter! Sometimes I believe they even know what I'm saying while I feed the fowl and mutter to myself. I've seen them look at each other with that " we better look after the old guy" look:p

10. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    18 of my 11 week olds lost to the neighbors dogs on July 27th of this year. They were my first chickens and I had hatched them myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by