How many can I have?

Farmz246

Chirping
Jan 30, 2018
Barbados, Caribbean
Hi there,
I have a coop I built using these plans. (ana-white.com/2016/07/free_plans/small-chicken-coop-planter-clean-out-tray-and-nesting-box).
The Interior, including the nesting box is about 13.5sqft. The two girls I have only tend to use the coop on a night, and to lay their eggs early in the morning. Even on rainy days they tend to stay in the lower section (Run =25sqft) which is open to the elements. The doors to the run are left open from 6am to 6pm most days, and allows them to roam a fenced in area of about 4000sqft.
One of the girls seems to sleep in one of the three nesting boxes, while the other one seems to sleep on the wood chips in the clean out tray. I've never seen either one use the roost by the windows.
I have a few questions.
I was thinking of adding one or two more regular sized layers to the group, and based on the 13.5sqft/3sqft per chicken, that gives me 4 chickens. I'm thinking that 3 chickens maybe better. Thoughts?
I was told that I shouldn't add just a single chicken to the group because the two present chickens will attack it unmercifully. Any truth to this?
If I do add new birds to the group, what's the best way to do so? At what age, chicks or pullets?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I looked at the plans and the link to the original plans... cute doll house but I didn't see a roost anywhere. I hope you didn't follow the link and put a tin roof on... I would not have more than 2 bantams in that small house. Sorry for being blunt but made a lot of mistakes looking at photos and plans for so called coops on the internet. I was able to salvage mine.

JT

I looked at the plans and the link to the original plans... cute doll house but I didn't see a roost anywhere. I hope you didn't follow the link and put a tin roof on... I would not have more than 2 bantams in that small house. Sorry for being blunt but made a lot of mistakes looking at photos and plans for so called coops on the internet. I was able to salvage mine.

JT
I did actually use a marine ply roof covered with aluminum roofing and painted in green. I've checked it (not with a thermometer although that's not a bad idea) around 1 in the afternoon, and it doesn't feel too hot to me, but like I said, the girls don't use it during the day.
I do take your point about the "doll house" comment and suggestion not to have anything too big. Maybe I'll stick with the two Red Star girls I have for the time being then.

I've checked it (not with a thermometer although that's not a bad idea) around 1 in the afternoon, and it doesn't feel too hot to me,
What is your location?
Good idea to add it to your profile, it's easy then it always there!
upload_2018-1-31_17-29-54.png

Agrees with JT that your coop is really too small for more birds,
and integrating new birds is best done with extra and separate but adjacent space.
This small coop/run would be great for that extra space if you decide to build a bigger coop and run for more birds.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC!

That coop, as JT and Aart says is too small for adding even one more bird. The smaller the flock, the MORE sq. footage required to avoid problems with aggression, disease, stress. 4 s.f./bird in coop and 10 s.f./bird in run are the absolute minimum. lack of vertical space makes the crowding issue even more critical.

It also lacks adequate ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom