How many can I keep?

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
I have almost finished my coup and run. The coup is 8x12 and the run is 45x 35.How many chickens would be comfortable if they get no free roam time.They will usually be allowed in the 3/4 acre garden area,just not during harvest and dead of winter.

Thanks

With the 4sqft per LF bird rule of thumb, coop would hold 24 birds if you give them 10-12 inches of roost space each and 1 nest per 4-6 birds, the run is plenty big...your mileage may differ.

The problem with any formula, of course, is that it is a starting place, a beginning place of discussion and thought.

The difficulty I have with the oft stated formula is WINTER. We get real winter, as in frozen tundra and some days of bitter wind. There is zero outdoor time in those conditions. There is nothing to eat, the world is a white frozen wasteland. This can stretch on for weeks and months at a time.

It is then that one really, really appreciates the much needed extra room in the coop/barn/pen.

Last edited:
We get decent winters here to but it would be pretty rare the birds would be locked up in the coup only for more than 4 or 5 days at a time.With the 4 sq ft rule I'm thinking 20 mixed sizes should be comfortable.The coup is 8x12 with 4x8 low loft/second floor. Under the loft is an "safe" area for smaller birds to hide if there is bullying.The nest boxes are attached outside on one end so they don't take up any of the living area. I'm still working out the perches but I've got a few ideas including a sorta tree design.

We get decent winters here to but it would be pretty rare the birds would be locked up in the coup only for more than 4 or 5 days at a time.With the 4 sq ft rule I'm thinking 20 mixed sizes should be comfortable.The coup is 8x12 with 4x8 low loft/second floor. Under the loft is an "safe" area for smaller birds to hide if there is bullying.The nest boxes are attached outside on one end so they don't take up any of the living area. I'm still working out the perches but I've got a few ideas including a sorta tree design.
Sounds cool! :)

Back
Top Bottom