How many chicken eggs can i hatch in a 10gal DIY incubator

EasterEggersRULE

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
South Texas
I finally decided to incubate my buff opringtons eggs they have been with a buff roo for 6 weeks. I do not want to crowed them. There is a damp towel for humidity and hard ware cloth over that and my heating elements are not inside there on the bottom (heating pads for reptiles). Could i make a wire shelf and put more eggs up there ??

I was able to fit 3 egg cartons (cut down to fit 8 eggs each because of the tank width restriction) and 2 more eggs laying on their sides in the back of the tank. 26 total. If you are making racks, I'm sure you could do 2 layers, but you'd have to constantly be taking the top rack of eggs out to rotate the eggs on the bottom... I'm sure you could perhaps get more eggs in if you didn't use cartons, but I wanted to incubate upright so I used the cartons.
93025_incubator_inside.jpg

This picture is showing the top view when I was still trying to build it. I added another carton for a total of 3, and then placed 2 more eggs in the space on the back. I also had to add a layer or two of cardboard to deflect some of the heat from the light, otherwise I had a hotspot there. Good luck. If you do find a way to use racks, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Back
Top Bottom