How many chickens can fit in 8×4 A frame

How many chickens can fit in 8×4 A frame chicken tractor that you don't move.
If they free range all day how many?
If they are outside for 5+ hours?
Three. The A-frame is basically their coop and run. They need at least 10 sq ft per bird of space to avoid behavioral issues. Sanitary issues can be avoided by moving the tractor.

So 3 is max If I free range them every day whole day?
That's not what you wrote. You wrote 5+ hours per day.
Where are you located? Do you get snow where you are?
If you are in an area that does not get snow, you could house 8 if you let them an hour after dawn and lock them up at night after they've gone to roost.

Last edited:
That's not what your wrote. You wrote 5+ hours per day.
Where are you located? Do you get snow where you are?
If you are in an area that does not get snow, you could house 8 if you let them an hour after dawn and lock them up at night after they've gone to roost.
Maybe 5 times snowing in 3 months. If I would let them in yard all day and just lock them at night 8 is good number right?

Are you only using the a-frame as a coop? And will they only use it for sleeping? If so, you can do up to 8. Just keep in mind that is pretty crowded. The coop will get dirty fast, so be sure you have a way to clean it easily. And there may be behavior issues if they ever have to spend any time in there.

I have pretty mild weather where I am, but it still rains a lot in the winter, and we get a little snow every year. My birds are all in their coop and covered run during those times.

Theoretically an 8x4 coop holds 8 chickens. (See this article on why the usual recommendations are guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/ )

But an A-frame looses usable space on both sides so that the effective dimension is likely to be more like 8x3 -- which takes the useful area down to 24 square feet, which only houses 6 chickens.

If the free-ranging time is not the vast majority of daylight hours so that they spend not just a few hours but almost all of their time ranging, then numbers need to be reduced to the point where the unit is considered a run rather than a coop. :)

Last edited:
But an A-frame looses usable space on both sides so that the effective dimension is likely to be more like 8x3 -- which takes the useful area down to 24 square feet, which only houses 6 chickens.
Yet, this is a good example of where the "rule of thumb" is not applicable.
My coop is another example.
If the birds can come off the roost and hop down into the larger area, that area is what is applicable for coop space (until released) provided the 1 linear foot of roost space can be met, which an 8' long tractor meets.

Back
Top Bottom