How many chickens can I fit in my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pusher317, Nov 8, 2012.

1. pusher317

pusher317 New Egg

Nov 8, 2012
    Hi everyone, newbie here! I've built a coop but I'm not sure how many chicken will be comfortable in the space. I originally was aiming to house 3-4 chickens, but after adding a nest box and roosts and food and water the space looks smaller than I pictured. The coop is 39"L x 23"W. I placed a 12"x15" nest box inside the living area and I have two roosts, one 22" and another 16". Minus the nest box there is approx. 5.5 square feet of living space in the coop. Is that enough for 3 chickens or should I only get 2? I want to get either buff orpingtons or black australorps. No roosters. The run is 8ft x 3ft.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/top-ten-most-often-asked-questions-about-chickens

I would say 4 square feet each, and 10 square feet each in the run- I had less then that once and I had feather plucking and fighting, loos of laying- they were miserable.

If you get bantams you can get away with what you have. both run and coop- I would never have more then two with that sized setup.

It be like spending the rest of your life in a smaller then standard hotel room with a balcony- how much space would you -want-?

3. pusher317

pusher317 New Egg

Nov 8, 2012
    Thank you, you've convinced me to definitely stick with just two hens. I'm using Raising Chickens for Dummies as my guidebook. The book stated 2 sq feet per bird. I hope with the ample run space they will be happy in those quarters.

4. FireTigeris

Well have fun with them, they are a blast to watch.

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    You might want to consider adding space to the run as well. 8x3 is pretty small.

6. pusher317

pusher317 New Egg

Nov 8, 2012
    My coop is a tractor, so I will be relocating it around the backyard every couple of days. I also plan to let them free range a little bit in the backyard when I'm home. I have a 6-ft privacy fence, will they try to fly over that? Will I need to trim their wings?

7. FireTigeris

Depends on the breeds, I have leghorns and an ameracana that fly everywhere the Wyadottes never fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by