How many chickens can I put here?

Pics

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I have a 6x4 coop with 12 linear feet of roosts (that can be walked under) and 5 external nesting boxes. It has 66 square feet of run space (30 of which is underneath the coop). I currently have four standard hens (white leghorn, three red sex links).

I have a possible source that would let me get one or two pullets (standard) (definitely pullets) I'm worried about getting only one because my white leghorn has a very dominant personality and it would be a rough integration. This is also a complicated situation, and I am actually hoping that this isn't a possibility for a number of reasons.

MyPetChicken will give me a minimum of 4 chicks if I mix a bantam and standard order, but obviously I can't keep all four of them. Could I add three bantams to this coop, or would it be too many?

I can also get 3 standards from MPC, but I'm worried that this is two many chickens.

There is not much of a market for chickens in my area, so it wouldn't be a good plan to just get extras and plan to sell them.

I would rather not get two bantams and fill up the rest of the order with meat birds to be butchered, because I don't think that I could physically do it and don't trust myself to kill them properly in a painless way, let alone prep them for eating properly.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

Is there a place you can pick up chicks? Like a feed store or a local breeder? You could get 2 then. Your setup seems ok for 6 unless behavior issues arise. You will def need temporary space for integration.

Full disclosure: My opinion is a little skewed because after my chickens had a big yard to roam in, confining them makes it seem like they're cramped. It's like downsizing your TV. A 60 in TV will seem tiny if you used to have a 72 in (for illustration purposes only - I have a 42 in, and it seems ginormous in my little house - lol). My flock if 9 have about 780 sq ft (coop + covered run + fenced chicken yard) and I still want to give them more. I think I have a problem....

Not more than 2 or 3. The prefab coop has more nesting boxes than it needs, too, but there's no fix for that. More run space will make integration easier, but if you are limited, you are limited.

I agree with your earlier post, more space is almost universally better - though some management practices and conditions can allow you to do with less, scarcity tends to create friction, while abundance lubricates relations. Except CornishX - those idiots will happily eat themselves into an early grave! ;)

Would try to locate your additional birds from a local who will sell in smaller quantity, and whose flock and grounds you can inspect for condition of care and signs of disease. Bringing outside poultry in is always a risk, and you don't have the space to effectively quarantine.

/edit and I have 30.8 acres for you duck crazed people. See my flock in my signature. 8 is plenty for my wife and i. Meets our egg needs, most days, and there's one for the table each holiday.

I want to clarify to everyone here that I am not in control of whether or not to expand the run. I've tried. Really hard. It's not a question if I'm willing to expand it.

Knowing one's limits, and living within them, is no vice. Much respect, whatever you decide, even if its ultimately "now is not the time". If you were closer, i'd take your extras off your hands - I wouldn't even notice another mouth or three to feed.

Are you sure under your coop has 30 square feet of run?

Pics please.

In a 4x6 coop the maximum number recommended is 6. Integration requires extra space above that.
At 66 sq feet your run is ok for 6 but again integration requires much more room than the minimum recommended 10 sq foot per bird.

If you already have 4 I would not try to add in such a confined space.

My duck run is going to be 250 square feet plus an extension for the coop and the pond.

Gee I only ordered 4, what was I thinking?!
Oh my goodness! I was talking to some duck owners on another thread, and they told me I could keep up to 1000 ducks on 1 acre. I have 3 whole acres. That's 3000 DUCKIES.

Lemme throw a few things out there.....

Your current birds are not your desired breeds.
Can you potentially sell them and bring in a whole new group that would be the desired breeds?

Maybe split an order with a friend or a fellow BYC person in your area?
Again I would sell or give away the current flock before getting new birds as you do not have adequate integration space.

An example of how I handle things.....
Today I went to get feed. They have the chick cages set up and of course know I have a huge coop....in fact I have 4 coops.
While I am not at max capacity I have PLENTY birds. There are 19 chickens and 7 ducks here.
Of course they wanted me to look at the coming soon lists and reserve birds.....I said no. No is an acceptable answer. I currently have space for 16 additional chickens.....I do not need 16 additional chickens.
When/if I need more I know I can add BECAUSE my set up includes brooding/housing space for any coming in. Just not going to happen this year.

Back
Top Bottom